My sons First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son's First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

My son is saving his money for an entry level detector. He is curious what you all think would be best for him. He likes the F2 but also likes the Compadre and the lifetime warranty. I will be getting a sandshark soon for the saltwater so his machine will be a good backup for general use on land, but a submersible coil would be a plus in case we run into some freshwater. His only experience has been with a BH tracker IV. He is open to other machines as well if you have any suggestions in the sub $200 range. Thanks all!!

Upvote 0

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't make it less accurate.
The methodology of resolving that signal into firmware, which then gives it a 'rating' - that is of marginal accuracy- is what makes it less accurate.

Would you like me to create a metaphor so the logically impaired can follow along easier?

Nope. I understand your logic. But it does not mean you're correct. It's an opinion- you're entitled to it.

You fail to realize is that we (the people you believe to be intellectually inferior to you) understand that said firmware is only giving a guess as to what the object is. We understand that the accuracy is marginal. We understand that when we dig it may not be exactly what is indicated on the ID.

This does not mean that the information represented on the screen is useless...... You have to be smart enough to interpret what the machine is trying to tell you.

Thank you for the offer of extended explanation but its not needed. Not by me anyway. I'm smart enough to know, that I don't know everything- and smart enough to know that with practice and patience, I can operate an Md with a screen that tells me several things at once.

I have no desire for a beep and dig MD- but I'm not above it- I'm sure they work just fine. And I don't see them as inferior MDs. I just like techy things and screens.

It's my opinion- and I'm entitled to it as well.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have wait. They both do the same thing, right now.
One just uses a methodology that is less accurate.

So are you really saying a detector with one tone for everything and thumbing a knob for iding is more accurate. You also ask if kids would still take a phone with internet and phone over one that just makes calls if it was wrong 20% of the time, yeah probably.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greengold ,
You are on Whidbey Island Washington state. The ocean is all around you and the navy fly boys are above you. The beaches there are not used for swimming so not much will be found at the beach. The dutch have been there for a long time so they will have lost some old coins and "stuff". You may or may not obtain permission to detect their property. We all assume that you have plenty of ground to detect on the island. If not you must go over Deception Pass bridge or take a ferry to get off the island and over to Burlington (Costco) is about 45 miles off island and will give you more detecting places. I do not recall the mineralization on the island to be troublesome, it might be more so around some of the mounds/hills/what they consider mountains.

I liked the Compadre video that was posted on page two of your responses.

I think it is possible with some experimenting to use the single dial of the Compadre machine to give you a bit more detail about what is in the ground.

Method: Detect at minimum discrimination and confirm that the machine hits on nickels, zinc and copper pennies, a silver dime, a silver quarter, a pull tab, a rusty nail and a gold ring.

spread your targets out on the surface of the ground. Starting at no discrimination go over each target starting with the nickel and "slowly" turn the discrimination up till the nickel is "JUST" no longer detected - now, using a small sliver of tape (I prefer prizim fishing lure 'sparkle' tape) very carefully to be accurate mark that location with the tape , next the gold ring(should drop out around where the nickel did) and the other targets. The tape may get kinda messy so I'd premark about three circles out from the knob and use the closest circle for the most important targets and go further out for the pull tab, pennies, nickel and such.

With these locations marked and a little cheat sheet of what the markings mean taped to the detector the detectorist can hunt in zero discrimination (all metal mode) get a signal and test the signal to obtain an IDEA of what the target might be(turn the discrim up till the target drops out). This might be of help in making the detecting more fun IF one is hunting in a trashy area and gets tired of pulling out junk after junk.

Next - Tnet Sponsors, there is an entire list of them at the very bottom of the home page so just scroll down till you read "SPONSORS"

I wish you and your son a world of fun together out detecting and bonding!...........................63bkpkr

Oh, if one of the sponsors is willing to deal a bit with you on this machine you might want to ask for the package price of the detector and a Lesche digger.

Last edited:

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like the multiple coil options of the eurotek.........I am thinking of myself as well because this will be my backup machine for land. I will be getting the Sand shark for the beach, thus I was leaning toward the compadre to keep the Tesoro thing going. Thanks for the input everyone!

Greengold, I would ask some of the vendors the same question you asked here. I was considering a machine for my kids, and the Teknetics came highly recommended. At least you will get a somewhat unbiased decision, especially of they sell all three machines. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love F2! My vote would be F2

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love F2! My vote would be F2

I know this is an older thread, but for future reference, anyone considering these two machines, the F2 is the stronger choice. I have both machines and there are at least two strong reasons I vote F2. 1. It's noticeably deeper than the Compadre. 2. It is far better at unmasking than the Compadre. In testing I took a quarter and placed it behind a nail. The Compadre with a 5.75" coil couldn't pick it up either behind or to the side of the nail no matter how close to the coil. The F2 did so with ease. It's a better machine on many levels including coils selection. Compadre has a fixed coil.

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre....... Lifetime Warrantee great machines. I am always pleased with my Sand Shark.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tesoro Compadre....... Lifetime Warrantee great machines. I am always pleased with my Sand Shark.

Can't beat the warranty, I also have a sand shark...awesome machine!!! However, Tesoro is WAY behind the times with their detectors and lack of screens. I still stand by my opinion of F2

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread