My Take On the Legend

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took possession of a used Legend version 1.09. I had watched many videos on youtube and had a pretty good idea on how to adjust it, but it is always better to have the detector in your hands. I assembled it and took it to my test garden. The detector seemed very well built, but within the first minute of swinging it, I noticed a bad to me wobble in the shaft. I traced it to the lower cam lock. As much as I fussed with it, it would not hold tight. Not bad, but not something I expected from this company.

Now for the test garden. Park one, multi one, sens 25, iron bias 3, recovery 4, 4 tones, and volume to suit me. It hit every target with excellent tones and steady numbers. I took a quick spin around my yard and did not expect anything good as it has been hit with all my detectors over the years. I purposely headed to where I had found a wheat penny spill last year. I had taken my Etrac to clean it up and if I found anything, it would be a testament to the Legend. Got some iron grunts and a faint whine of a signal that flashed intermittent low 40 numbers. I dug to about 8 inches before it got a signal with Carrot. I was expecting rusty iron, but not to be, a green wheatie from about 9 inches. Low and behold, I got another signal with my pinpointer and found another wheat penny. Not bad for a new to me detector

Now for actual hunts. Favorite park where any older coins are few and far between. Loads of modern trash, but still holds older coins, but most are in the 8 inch deep range. I used the same settings and realized that the tabs and most junk was in the 32 to 36 range. There are loads of bottle caps that are from the surface to 5 inches or so deep. The ferro check worked absolutely perfect on these caps and also, the tones seemed much harsher. This is a "huge plus" for park hunters. I started zeroing on nickels and in my ground, they read 24-26. I have dug at least 10 nickels and the Legend is as good as any detector identifying nickels. No silver, but I did dig three deep(8-9 inches) wheat pennies. This am, I headed back in between rain storms and headed to the trashiest pavilion at this park. I had an amazing experience on my very first target. Got a strong 38 signal, but when I slowed up, I got an intermittent high whine with a NOT repeatable 42 number. It was faint and I could not use the pinpoint button, but I did my best to "X" the faint signal. From about 5 inches I found an aluminum screw cap. I knew there was another target in the hole and sure enough, I did find one with my pinpointer about three inches deeper. It was a 1936 Canadian penny. At exactly that time, the rain came in buckets and my morning was done. This detector is showing to be as good as it's intended competition.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took possession of a used Legend version 1.09. I had watched many videos on youtube and had a pretty good idea on how to adjust it, but it is always better to have the detector in your hands. I assembled it and took it to my test garden. The detector seemed very well built, but within the first minute of swinging it, I noticed a bad to me wobble in the shaft. I traced it to the lower cam lock. As much as I fussed with it, it would not hold tight. Not bad, but not something I expected from this company.

Now for the test garden. Park one, multi one, sens 25, iron bias 3, recovery 4, 4 tones, and volume to suit me. It hit every target with excellent tones and steady numbers. I took a quick spin around my yard and did not expect anything good as it has been hit with all my detectors over the years. I purposely headed to where I had found a wheat penny spill last year. I had taken my Etrac to clean it up and if I found anything, it would be a testament to the Legend. Got some iron grunts and a faint whine of a signal that flashed intermittent low 40 numbers. I dug to about 8 inches before it got a signal with Carrot. I was expecting rusty iron, but not to be, a green wheatie from about 9 inches. Low and behold, I got another signal with my pinpointer and found another wheat penny. Not bad for a new to me detector

Now for actual hunts. Favorite park where any older coins are few and far between. Loads of modern trash, but still holds older coins, but most are in the 8 inch deep range. I used the same settings and realized that the tabs and most junk was in the 32 to 36 range. There are loads of bottle caps that are from the surface to 5 inches or so deep. The ferro check worked absolutely perfect on these caps and also, the tones seemed much harsher. This is a "huge plus" for park hunters. I started zeroing on nickels and in my ground, they read 24-26. I have dug at least 10 nickels and the Legend is as good as any detector identifying nickels. No silver, but I did dig three deep(8-9 inches) wheat pennies. This am, I headed back in between rain storms and headed to the trashiest pavilion at this park. I had an amazing experience on my very first target. Got a strong 38 signal, but when I slowed up, I got an intermittent high whine with a NOT repeatable 42 number. It was faint and I could not use the pinpoint button, but I did my best to "X" the faint signal. From about 5 inches I found an aluminum screw cap. I knew there was another target in the hole and sure enough, I did find one with my pinpointer about three inches deeper. It was a 1936 Canadian penny. At exactly that time, the rain came in buckets and my morning was done. This detector is showing to be as good as it's intended competition.
Glad it did well for you. I've been happy with mine from day one.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I noticed that wobble also but on mine, it's because I extend the bottom section too far. Nokta needs to come out with a "Tallman" middle shaft for The Legend.

CoinShooter01

Sep 23, 2022
They just got cheaper too.
Did you see the Nokta announcement yesterday?
They dropped the price, and are deleting the headphones.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your description of your first experiences with the Legend sounds very much like mine. I have had mine since late March. Five gold rings and hundreds of nickels that I simply couldn't differentiate from pull tabs using the Equinox due to modern pull-tabs having similar IDs to US nickels on the Equinox 12/13/14. Only the older square (rectangular) pull tabs come in near US nickels with the Legend and the only modern oval pull tabs that end up at the US nickel IDs are bent or damaged. I have also found deep wheats, silver Rosies, and Mercs in the 8 to 10" depth range with aluminum trash mixed in or nearby.

I have done a ton of testing with the Legend and a ton of coin/jewelry hunting with it in modern aluminum trash. In real life, especially in higher mineralization, it separates just fine even in Park 1. There have been a few glitches but Nokta as usual are on them fairly quickly.

Just like every other metal detector company that recently released new models, speaker replacements (Nokta), accessory standalone coils (XP and Nokta), shaft upgrades for submerged/diving (XP), software updates (XP and Nokta) and the Minelab Manticore and Garrett Axiom in general will all happen when they happen no matter how impatient I or others may be.

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just got cheaper too.
Did you see the Nokta announcement yesterday?
They dropped the price, and are deleting the headphones.
Nokta are offering an option for purchasing the Legend without their Bluetooth headphones for $549 US. They are not deleting their Bluetooth headphones and they haven’t lowered their prices. They are just offering a third package without BT headphones to go with the $635 Legend WHP and $749 Legend Pro Pack.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I noticed that wobble also but on mine, it's because I extend the bottom section too far. Nokta needs to come out with a "Tallman" middle shaft for The Legend.
nokta/macro does make a longer middle shaft for the simplex that is four inches longer then the stock shaft and it also works on the Legend I purchased one for my Legend, all the shaft parts are inter changeable between the Legend and the simplex

CoinShooter01

Sep 23, 2022
Nokta are offering an option for purchasing the Legend without their Bluetooth headphones for $549 US. They are not deleting their Bluetooth headphones and they haven’t lowered their prices. They are just offering a third package without BT headphones to go with the $635 Legend WHP and $749 Legend Pro Pack.
Yep. They dropped the price, and are deleting the headphones.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there was word on the new coil options......Quote...."they are in tooling" and "hopefully by the holidays" meaning Christmas and New Years.

You can take shots at the Legend all you want. I will just state the facts as I hear or read them, not as you interpret them and choose to express them.

This topic is about the OP's first impressions after having purchased and used a Legend. It's not about making things up.........

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ferro check worked absolutely perfect on these caps and also, the tones seemed much harsher. This is a "huge plus" for park hunters.
Agreed! great post on the Nokta Legend. They made a great machine

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nokta/macro does make a longer middle shaft for the simplex that is four inches longer then the stock shaft and it also works on the Legend I purchased one for my Legend, all the shaft parts are inter changeable between the Legend and the simplex
I added a Simplex lower shaft for the 6" coil, will look into the center shaft again, might not hurt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread