My third day with the Legend, and I want your opinions about settings.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m finding things on this acreage I had no idea we’re there with my faithful 540 Vanquish. But one thing I’m finding that I’m sure surprises no one is aluminum.

Pull tabs, moly grease tube lids, and just plain scrap metal is now easier to locate than ever with this wonderful device.

This evening, it struck me that every single one rang up at 31-34. So this poses the question:

If I notched out 31-34, what might I be missing?

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m finding things on this acreage I had no idea we’re there with my faithful 540 Vanquish. But one thing I’m finding that I’m sure surprises no one is aluminum.

Pull tabs, moly grease tube lids, and just plain scrap metal is now easier to locate than ever with this wonderful device.

This evening, it struck me that every single one rang up at 31-34. So this poses the question:

I recently had a 10K gold ring in the low 30s. A lot of people like notching but it doesn't suit me. I don't want to have that lurking notion in the back of my mind that I swung right over a valuable target and missed it. Hope you get some good opinions and insight. Looking forward to the replies you get.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Also, if you do a search on "The Legend VDI Bible" it is very interesting and (to my experience) quite accurate. Credit to Metal Detecting NYC.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

here is the issue if you decide to notch out any thing you could potentially start missing gold targets and other good targets, like some coins that you do not want to miss, it is the nature of metal detecting, gold can come in all across the spectrum of TID numbers even negative numbers so notch at your own risk if you want, I myself would dig everything for awhile until you feel you have a handle on what is garbage and what is not, just my opinion

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally I'd ask Terry Soloman
Reasons being he has tested and perfected the Legend it seems by what he has toted in the reviews.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being technically inclined, I look for simple solutions. So here is what I think might help you answer your question about what you might be missing: Go ahead and notch out 31-34, or whatever range you choose, then notch out everything EXCEPT that range and go over the same area again. Did you find anything missed the first time that you are glad you found? Of course that experiment would have to be repeated several times in different areas to get a realistic idea of a conclusion. Hey, that's part of the fun. Good luck in your treasure hunting. You have a great tool to work with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread