My Trusted TICK & MOSQUITO Deterrent

Southern Sis

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS WORKS FOR ME:

About 5+ yrs ago, I read taking garlic daily would deter ticks & mosquitoes from biting. I live in the south, on 3 acres, in the country. Ticks & mosquitoes here are as thick as thieves.

Although skeptical, I decided to give it a try. It was said although you will not smell like garlic, they can detect it through your pores, therefore will not bite. Within a week or 2, the rare occasion I would find 1 or 2 on me, they were never attached. Also, while sitting on the front porch one day, I noticed a mosquito hovering over my arm. It kept wanting to bite, but every time it would get closer it would back off. Never did bite. I now take garlic daily, year round.

I settled on the following because you do not taste or burp it, & they are only a little larger than a BB. Upon getting up each morning I take 4 to 6. It is just garlic, so it will not hurt you. It is an antioxidant that is also beneficial for your heart, cholesterol levels & circulation.

Nature's Bounty Garlic Extract 1000 mg Softgels, 100 ea.

I started off buying it in Walgreen’s when they had a BOGO sale. Now, I can often find better deals on Amazon.

Note: Do not give it to your dogs, as I have read it will harm them!

Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS WORKS FOR ME:

About 5+ yrs ago, I read taking garlic daily would deter ticks & mosquitoes from biting. I live in the south, on 3 acres, in the country. Ticks & mosquitoes here are as thick as thieves.

Although skeptical, I decided to give it a try. It was said although you will not smell like garlic, they can detect it through your pores, therefore will not bite. Within a week or 2, the rare occasion I would find 1 or 2 on me, they were never attached. Also, while sitting on the front porch one day, I noticed a mosquito hovering over my arm. It kept wanting to bite, but every time it would get closer it would back off. Never did bite. I now take garlic daily, year round.

I settled on the following because you do not taste or burp it, & they are only a little larger than a BB. Upon getting up each morning I take 4 to 6. It is just garlic, so it will not hurt you. It is an antioxidant that is also beneficial for your heart, cholesterol levels & circulation.

I started off buying it in Walgreen’s when they had a BOGO sale. Now, I can often find better deals on Amazon.

Very Cool!!! Thanks for the info!!!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON'T trust your life on unproven methods. use this .
61549f9352f3555395a237be_SP657-01-01.jpg

OP
OP
S

Southern Sis

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a heart patient and take heart medication daily. My doctor is aware of my taking the garlic because he asked for a list of my supplements and approved it.
All I can say is it works, for me. Plus, I consulted my doctor, which I would always advise for anyone.

BTW, I should have mentioned the 1000 mg can be deceiving.

Each soft gel is 10 mg garlic extract.
Each soft gel = one small individual garlic bulb.
One garlic bulb = 1000mg.

One more interesting fact those in the Mediterranean consume what is considered one of the healthiest diets, which includes plenty garlic.

Not arguing with anyone, just do not want to deceive.
As stated, before, it works for me, but may not for everyone. And, I did consult my doctor.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say yes to Lots of garlic daily , and I have used the permethrin spray on shoes , trousers , shirt cuffs -( let your clothes air dry thoroughly after spraying them - 24 hours ) no wet permethrin contact on your skin ! This stuff works, I hunted for weeks in the woods in PA. last year - didn't even see a tic after treating my clothing !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of garlic will also keeps other things away from you...

Like other humans.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little over 30 years ago I contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick that got on me while fishing around a farm pond. Spent 4 days in the hospital on the edge of death. It was an illness I never ever want to experience again. I refuse to go into high grass/brushy areas ever since. I would urge everyone here to take any and all precautions to avoid getting ticks on you.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
THIS WORKS FOR ME:

Thanks for the advice, had a tick latched on me, I got a little sickly for a few days

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daily checks work best for me. It takes 24-48 hrs for a tick to transfer any nasties.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS WORKS FOR ME:

I love roasted garlic...but it also wards off people when I have it. :). But good to know...I may give it a try.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cook with garlic frequently. Mosquitoes, deer flies, no-see-ums love me. DEET and Permethrin are my friends. Since I began spraying my clothes with permethrin a few years back, I haven't pulled a single tick off of clothes or skin. Biting insects stay away.

I don't discount the garlic. Maybe a higher dose than just seasoning is needed.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THIS WORKS FOR ME:

Great idea. Thanks for the tip

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes 24-48 hrs for a tick to transfer any nasties.

sorry hollARDog, but I have to disagree with you. (maybe you read my comment a couple of slots above yours) That tick was latched onto me for probably no longer than 6 hours before it was discovered and removed. Within a few days afterwards, I started feeling flu-like symptoms which continued to get worse and worse until I began running fever in excess of 104 which would break and then climb back up again. Tests at the hospital confirmed tick fever.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry hollARDog, but I have to disagree with you. (maybe you read my comment a couple of slots above yours) That tick was latched onto me for probably no longer than 6 hours before it was discovered and removed. Within a few days afterwards, I started feeling flu-like symptoms which continued to get worse and worse until I began running fever in excess of 104 which would break and then climb back up again. Tests at the hospital confirmed tick fever.
Good to know, just going by what I've read. I'm in and out of the woods everyday and I keep a pretty good check for them nasty little guys.
And sorry didn't see a timeline in your post🤘

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks can transmit different diseases but research shows it has to be attached for 36 to 48 hours to transmit the Lyme disease bacteria. I use Permithrin on my clothes and Deet on bare skin in the Summer time but might try the garlic as an extra precaution.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been taking garlic pills for years and I still get tick bites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread