Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's been known to be out at 2 am picking these guys off:tongue3: I often wonder what the neighbors think seeing a crazy woman with a flashlight among her flowers at that time!

Slug.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are bad here in ny too. take a couple beer bottles with a few inches of beer in them, bury them around the plants leaving a few inches above ground. Slugs will crawl in and drown themselves. One of the reasons we used to call an alcoholic acquaintance of ours "sluggo" as teens. He would drown himself in alcohol if given the chance.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's been known to be out at 2 am picking these guys off:tongue3: I often wonder what the neighbors think seeing a crazy woman with a flashlight among her flowers at that time!

View attachment 2030982
Bet they're thinking. Must be French.

Just a hint! Don't use Snarol. knew a lady that was using it, and her two dalmatians we're eating the snails and they both died. (The dalmatians)

A small pinch of salt on them works great. Makes them die without the poison danger.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the beer method......I will have to give it a try ......even though we don't have slugs

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are bad here in ny too. take a couple beer bottles with a few inches of beer in them, bury them around the plants leaving a few inches above ground. Slugs will crawl in and drown themselves. One of the reasons we used to call an alcoholic acquaintance of ours "sluggo" as teens. He would drown himself in alcohol if given the chance.
Yes, the beer works well. They are drawn to the smell and go right in, they won't do that with saltwater although salt does kill them. Another good trick is to put copper around the plants. I use fairly thin 1/2-3/4" wide copper banding and put it around the plant so most of the copper is above the ground. Believe it or not, slugs will not cross the copper!! Try it out!!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice. You could ring plants with clad you dig up I guess. There might be enough copper on them to work. I read there is something in their body that produces an electrical shock when they contact the copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread