mysterious lead disc with two faces on it.

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PART_1457171196802.jpeg Hey guys and gals, my friend found this the other day and we can not figure out what it was used for. She found it at a house from the 1700 hundreds, any opinions would be appreciated.it is 4.5 cm wide and weight 69 gram. PART_1457171477855.jpeg

Last edited:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The disk looks 'mammy made' to me. Perhaps someone did some campfire art.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That disc has got my curiosity up. It looks man made to me as well. It almost seems like the figure in the forefront is made to look like George Washington but I noticed you aren't from the US.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That disc has got my curiosity up. It looks man made to me as well. It almost seems like the figure in the forefront is made to look like George Washington but I noticed you aren't from the US.[/QUOTE
Don't think that it has something to do with George, they look like people from early 1800 hundreds i think.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a woman in front and a man behind her, i think.

Upvote 0

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mysterious lead disc with two face's on it...

Hello everybody!,To ME this is very interesting.George washington was well respected in europe so coin's,token's,exonumia,etc. in Europe are well known.That said this doe's look like a "mammy" peice as stated by brezie.I personally love Colonial era item's especially exonumia&U.S.Coins.When i first saw this i instantly thought of a Washington medal but this one is obviously(?) home-made as the reverse doe's not resemble a federal eagle.MAY have been someone's attempt to forge or duplicate,The pic's I posted are of the medal i thought of BUT it is made of silver&would not weigh 69g's.Could have been a start/attempt at a die,That's my two cent's worth! HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!
P.S. Very cool item!!!( OP )

Attachments

• DSCI3141.JPG
    DSCI3141.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCI3147.JPG
    DSCI3147.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply tokenhead, I really doubt that it is George Washington. It comes from a very small town in Denmark, i don't think that they would have known about George Washington out there. Maybe it could be a home made thing to make a relief picture in wax or candle wax?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a seal savant, it's way to big for that. But thanks for replying.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread