Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the same site where mbcuce and I found the matching 64th Reg. buttons last week. (He posted them already.) Today I found a few interesting things, including part of the smallest folding knife I think I've seen and an oval pewter buckle with tongue still in place.

But, the find that I'm most curious about is the pewter button with a British crown and maybe some kind of animal. I would think that it would be military, but maybe not. I've searched every book and resource I can find, with no luck. I've included multiple views, hoping that someone might be able to figure out the writing.

Thanks for looking.
group obverse.jpg
group reverse.jpg
button views.jpg

Upvote 21

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That knife is probably colonial. Found an identical one on an early colonial site

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the same site where mbcuce and I found the matching 64th Reg. buttons last week. (He posted them already.) Today I found a few interesting things, including part of the smallest folding knife I think I've seen and an oval pewter buckle with tongue still in place.

But, the find that I'm most curious about is the pewter button with a British crown and maybe some kind of animal. I would think that it would be military, but maybe not. I've searched every book and resource I can find, with no luck. I've included multiple views, hoping that someone might be able to figure out the writing.

Thanks for looking.
View attachment 1995994 View attachment 1995995 View attachment 1995996
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Early Buttons!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SPE A? Have been looking but still pulling a nothing for the ID.
Very nice recoveries indeed-hope a knowledgeable member will recognize the buttons.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Cru! The animal had me stumped. Having lived around alligators, I always picture them dragging their stomachs, but this is how they walk and how they are represented on the Jamaica seal.
I can research a Jamaica connection. The history of this property is pretty well documented.

I was debating whether it might be a livery button, but it seems too early and I wondered if that particular crown could have been used on a livery button.

It wasn't far from British Rev War buttons, we recently dug. I'm going to research in that direction some.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SPE A? Have been looking but still pulling a nothing for the ID.
Very nice recoveries indeed-hope a knowledgeable member will recognize the buttons.
Thanks for giving it some fresh eyes. I think SPE for sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was debating whether it might be a livery button, but it seems too early and I wondered if that particular crown could have been used on a livery button.
It's NOT a Livery Button but I see why you think that as it has an animal standing on a rope boarder thing. (forget the true name of it but most Livery Buttons have it)
It has a Royal British connection with the Crown, most likely Military but might be other Govt related organisations.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been all over the place with my research. Trying to determine if any British-Jamaican regiments were in SC during the Rev War and looking for any family connections to Jamaica. Haven't found anything definite on these fronts.
But, based on Cru's assessment, I did find an example of a Jamaican button with a similar arrangement. This is a constabulary button found on kellybadges.co.uk. The site says that it dates from 1902-1952. My button looks to be 18th century, but this one looks like a descendant.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.14.37 AM.png

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been all over the place with my research. Trying to determine if any British-Jamaican regiments were in SC during the Rev War and looking for any family connections to Jamaica. Haven't found anything definite on these fronts.
But, based on Cru's assessment, I did find an example of a Jamaican button with a similar arrangement. This is a constabulary button found on kellybadges.co.uk. The site says that it dates from 1902-1952. My button looks to be 18th century, but this one looks like a descendant.

View attachment 1996260
That's a great start! Yours is definitely cruder and older, but now you're in the ballpark.

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool find. My research shows the Governor of Jamaica sending folks to the Charleston after the siege trying to conscript people into service. That would line up with the 64th regiment being in that same area around that time. Would love to know the whole story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread