Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2020
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201212_190529.jpg

Hello All! I was wondering if you could help me identify this item i found at a very old cabin site in the woods. I found a few pieces of this and some square or rectangular head nails Thanks you guys. This is a wonderful site.

Gmoney 103

Greenie
Dec 5, 2020
Fredericksburg VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it may be, at first glance it appears to have been shot with a shotgun (#4 or #5 shot). Not saying I’ve ever done that with old, thin metal appliances out in the woods.... are the other pieces littered with holes as well?

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The holes have a random pattern, probably punched with a nail. The folded edge looks like it could have been a can. Maybe a homemade strainer?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too even a pattern. Probably a piece off a homemade strainer or colander

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad Gmoney 103 said "appears to" because no, it definitely has not "been shot with a shotgun (#4 or #5 shot)" -- it was pierced in multiple random places by a square-nail being driven through it. That piece of thin sheet-iron has a folded-over edge on it, like the rim of a bucket. Might have been used as some sort of strainer.

Upvote 0

Gmoney 103

Greenie
Dec 5, 2020
Fredericksburg VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad Gmoney 103 said "appears to" because no, it definitely has not "been shot with a shotgun (#4 or #5 shot)" -- it was pierced in multiple random places by a square-nail being driven through it. That piece of thin sheet-iron has a folded-over edge on it, like the rim of a bucket. Might have been used as some sort of strainer.

I concur upon further observation. Need to get the reading glasses out! My apologies.

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree: square nail created a home-made strainer! Found similar pieces around old cabins in the mountains around my home town! Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the tin faced doors off a pie safe....maybe. My grandmother had one, it was from the 1870’s. Some had intricate patterns but most that were primitive and hand made had tin fronts with hand punched patterns. These predated the screen wire doors that came later.

Attachments

• 48472499-BDA0-4E2F-AADC-522FE59C4189.jpeg
    48472499-BDA0-4E2F-AADC-522FE59C4189.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a what's left of a homemade colander, IMO... "D"

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some home made coffee filters

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Faithalone,
Whatever it is, it looks 'mammy made,' which could be used for anything that needs air or straining. Judging by the size and the folded edge, it could be a panel in a Pie Safe door.

Welcome to the Forum!

Southern Smiles :)
Breezie

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a piece of home made punch plate used in a rocker box for gold mining purposes if that hasn’t already been suggested. Did you find it in an area known for gold mining?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread