✅ SOLVED Mystery Object

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an object that was posted (not by me) on another site that I frequent. Consensus among a couple of guys is that it is a single cigar humidor. That just doesn't seem right to me and I was wondering what you guys think it might be. Text and pictures from the post below.

"This container, for lack of a better description, was found in my fathers effects after he passed a few years ago. I remember it setting on his desk a long time ago, but never knew what it was. I still don't know what it is. I've shown it to many of my friends, some my father's age, and no one has a clue what it is.
It's about a foot tall, made of brass, the top screws on, it has a slotted 1/8" pipe plug in the botton, and it has a perforated baffle(?) extending a couple of inches into the central body. It has a sort of simulated leather finish on the main body."

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 98
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 87
  • mystery3.jpg
    mystery3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 122
  • mystery4.jpg
    mystery4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 98
  • mystery5.jpg
    mystery5.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 107
  • mystery6.jpg
    mystery6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 100

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure seems to fit to me. I did a google search on "vintage cigar tube" and there were a lot of things that looked similar...

Picture1.png

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could also be a cigar saver. You can put a partially smoked cigar in it for later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure seems to fit to me. I did a google search on "vintage cigar tube" and there were a lot of things that looked similar...

View attachment 1930459

Reasons why I think that it may not be a single cigar humidor:

1. Examples of single cigar humidors I am seeing seem to be made to be "portable", to be carried on ones person. This one does not seem to fit this criteria. It seems better suited to be desk top humidor.

2. If meant to be a desk top humidor it doesn't seem to make sense to me that it would be made to only hold one cigar.

...not saying it isn't a single cigar humidor, something just doesn't seem right about it.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would hold some of the smell of ashes or there would be some residue if it was for a cigar to be saved in after being lit. Or even if used as a humidor I think it would retain some of the smell of a cigar unless it had been stored un-capped.

Upvote 0

NonsequiturI

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm old and can't figure out how to post the pic I found....but....it looks like an antique Train Flare holder....I googled old flare holders and it's in thee list of pics.....

Attachments

• trainroadflare.jpg
    trainroadflare.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read your post and see that this item isn't in your possession but if you know who owns it they might try and scrape some of the material from inside it maybe it would give them a better idea of what it is.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'm old and can't figure out how to post the pic I found....but....it looks like an antique Train Flare holder....I googled old flare holders and it's in thee list of pics.....

Awesome ID!!! Turn of the 20th C hand held railroad flare/torch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 524096742.jpg
    524096742.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome ID!!! Turn of the 20th C hand held railroad flare/torch.

attachment.php

Fantastic ID guys, I believe that is the exact object. I had a feeling I came to the right place.

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an update, I posted the solve on the other forum, and the OP says thanks. I let it be known what an informed bunch of people frequent this forum, so don't be surprised if I'm asked to get your opinions again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions