MYSTERY ROCK

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy

I haven't been around for a while and had to re-register with a different name. Anyway, I'm working on a real mystery and could use some help. If I can remember how to post pictures, please notice the carved images in what locals call "The Mystery Rock." I have been asked by our local Historical Society / Museum to research it, and depending on the results here, might write an article for them in their newsletter. The rock has already been examined by a group of Archaeologist but they are baffled as to what the carvings might be or represent. The only thing they determined with any certainty is that the carvings were done with some type of steel tool such as a chisel. As for the date it was carved, they are baffled about that as well. Its located in a brushy area about 100 feet away from an old State highway and about 100 yards from an old Railroad line that was built in 1916. In the area there is also an old U.S. military encampment that was built in 1940-41 and sold to the County around 1947-48. The two most prominent theories are ...

1. The rock was carved by a Railroad worker
2. The rock was carved by a member of the Military

But regardless of who carved it or when, we are trying to determine what the carvings might be or represent? The archaeologist said they don't recognize the pattern and are pretty sure they are not Aztec or anything like that, and that they might be random that only the "carver" knows the meaning of.

If you have any theories or recognize the pattern as something specific, please let me know and I will pass the information on to the Historical Society. The rock is located about 50 miles east of San Diego along old Highway 94.

Thanks in advance to those who participate in possibly solving a mystery that has had locals baffled for several years.

Sodabob ... a.k.a. Sodabottlebob and Sodapopbob

The rock is about 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, and about 2 feet thick. Most of the carving are on one end of the rock but in some places continue over the side. The local museum has permits to move it next Spring but will need a backhoe to lift and transport it.

100_5380.JPG

100_5377.JPG

100_5378.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully acknowledge that my recent post will likely be considered as highly speculative, especially my interpretation about the stairway to Heaven. However, I would like to emphasize that my interpretation is not based merely on fantasy or wishful thinking, but on having given the matter a considerable amount of thought based on the symbols on the rock as I see them. Throughout the course of this discussion we have explored just about every imaginable possibility from A to Z, with many of them being possibilities and observations of my own. As I have said in the past, my method of research is to throw as much stuff as possible against a wall to see what sticks. Even though my Freemason stuff is inconclusive and slowly sliding down the wall, it is, in my opinion, the best I am likely to come up with based on what I have seen thus far. In other words, there seem to be more symbols on the rock that might be Freemason related than anything else I have seen. But whether they are in reality connected to the Freemasons, I don't know with absolute certainty, and suppose only with time and more research will we ever know for sure. Hence, I am putting all of my eggs into the Freemason inquiries I made and will let them decide if the symbols are Freemason related or not. That is, if I ever hear back from them, which I haven't yet and not sure I ever will. I'm beginning to think they are so secretive that they might be intentionally ignoring me because they don't want to touch my inquiries with a ten-foot-pole. But who would be a better candidate to carve an intricate design into a granite rock than a member of the Freemasons, or someone influenced by or interested in the Freemasons? Possibly more than any other organization, the Freemasons are well known for their stonework, which often includes mysterious symbols and ciphers. Their symbols and ciphers are also known to contain secret messages and meanings, whose interpretations are often only known by the person who carved them. If/when I hear from any of my Freemason inquiries, I will be sure to let you know. But aside from that, this will likely be one of my last post because I just don't know where else to look that hasn't already been explored.

The first attachment is of the Mystery Rock symbols that I placed numbers next to. The second attachment is my interpretations of what the numbered symbols might represent. In closing, please note that I said "might" represent and not what they "do" represent. THANKS!

Mystery Rock Numbered Symbols.jpg

Mystery Rock Numbers.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.

I confess that Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" partially influenced me when I wrote my interpretation. Its one of my favorite songs and albums. Not to mention the symbols it depicts ...

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a sign on the wall
But she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook
There's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiving

Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder

And it's whispered that soon, If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won't go
In case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
And she's buying the stairway to heaven

Led Zeppelin IV Album.JPG

Led Zeppelin IV Album 1970.jpg

Led Zeppelin Album Symbols.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. ~ P.S.

Who knows - maybe the person who carved the design in the Mystery Rock was also influenced by Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robot

I'm totally open-minded to all possibilities - including Picasso influences. Please follow through with it and see if you can find a direct connection involving specific shapes and/or other designs used by Picasso.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecting the Dot? / Making a Point?

I thought I addressed this earlier, but realize now I didn't. It involves a part of the design where there is a small hole in the Rock that was either drilled or chiseled. (See attachment). I refer to it as a small hole, but it could also be described as a dot, period, divot, dimple, or point. It is about the size of the tip of my index finger and about 1/4" inch deep. Even though it seems unrelated to the rest of the design, it appears to have been intentionally placed and has the same weathering as the rest of the design. As you know, I'm still leaning toward a possible Freemason connection, and found the following that might explain the hole. It might be what the Freemasons call a "Point" - "A Point within a Circle" or a "Circumpunct." Even though it doesn't have the vertical lines on either side like a typical Freemason "Point within a Circle" symbol, its still a curiosity that makes me wonder why its part of the design? But whether it might represent an individual "Brother" or something else entirely, I don't know and can only speculate, which is just about all that can be done at this point and time.

Note: I still haven't received any replies from my Freemason inquires (which has been over a week now) and I'm not holding my breath that I will. The more I read up on the Freemasons, the more I realize how secretive they are. You'd think if the design is not related to them, they would say as much. But as it stands now, I have not heard a single word from them. I wonder why? Or should I say, I wonder Y?

Hole in Mystery Rock (circled)

Mystery Rock Hole circled.jpg

Freemason Point within a Circle Brother.JPG

Freemason Point within a Circle Symbol.jpg

Freemason Point within a Circle.jpg

Freemason Point.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another pic of the hole from a different angle ...

Mystery Rock Magnetic North and Hole.jpg

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes...A Picture Is Worth....A Thousand...Words!

Robot

Thanks for the contribution. As I have said throughout the course of this discussion, all observations, opinions, theories, etc; are worthy of consideration. At one point I even posted some Picasso stuff of my own, and remain open-minded to that possibility. However, the post that follows will hopefully establish where I currently stand with some observations, opinions, and theories of my own. But I acknowledge they are no more likely than your Picasso connection - just different! I suppose its true that some things truly do depend on "the eye of the beholder" and that "one person's trash is another person's treasure"

In my opinion it has some sort to Picasso in the abstract facial features with the "Y" carved on your rock.

These were the facial features of Pablo Picasso within his paintings and sculptures.

Maybe a New Picasso used these on his stone carvings.

La Famille.jpg PICASSO (1).jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion it has some sort to Picasso in the abstract facial features with the "Y" carved on your rock.

These were the facial features of Pablo Picasso within his paintings and sculptures.

Maybe a New Picasso used these on his stone carvings.

View attachment 1698120 View attachment 1698121

Robot

Our recent exchanges remind me of "Dueling Banjos" Or, "You say Tomato and I say Tomahto" Or, you see "Picasso facial features" and I see "Three" as in ...

Freemason Number Three Y Symbol.jpg

Freemason Number Three Points.JPG

Freemason Number Three.JPG

Freemason Number 3.JPG

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I Wrong...Or Did You Encourage...Alternate Theories?

Robot

Our recent exchanges remind me of "Dueling Banjos" Or, "You say Tomato and I say Tomahto" Or, you see "Picasso facial features" and I see "Three"

Tomato.png

If we each have a difference...About Tomatoes!...Maybe we could make...Pasta Sauce!...And Enjoy...The Results!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sodabob

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robot

If the following doesn't look like "Spaghetti and Meatballs" I don't know what does. Its also a case of me "Going out on a Limb" again. Of all the designs and/or symbols on the Rock, the most mysterious and intriguing for me is the Y symbol. As I have said before, I believe the Y symbol is an integral component due to it being so large and centrally located. In this same vain, the most mysterious and intriguing Freemason symbol I have seen is the "Tree of Life" and/or "Kabbalah" symbolism. Like many of the Freemason symbols, the Tree of Life / Kabbalah symbol is one of the most complicated, to say the least. But even with that said, its the one symbol that might explain the Y symbol. This is not to say the other symbols on the Rock aren't important, because I believe they are. And as far as identifying the other symbols goes, they are more easily recognizable with no real difficulty distinguishing a Triangle from a Square, etc. But the Y symbol is a horse of a different color. For me its a mystery within a mystery that captures ones attention more than anything else on the Rock. If the person who carved the Rock intended to include a major clue to aid in deciphering the design, I think that major clue is the Y symbol. So here I go "Out on a Limb" not only figuratively but literally as well ...

I posted these first two pics earlier, but including them again to emphasize the huge oak tree that is growing among the rocks behind the Mystery Rock. Based on what I know about "Live Oak" trees in this part of southern California, the one growing behind the Mystery Rock is at least 300 years old and was no doubt growing there when the Mystery Rock was carved. Even though the pics don't do it justice, the tree is massive and immediately captures your attention - especially the roots that are exposed among the cracks in the cliff where it stands. There is no way for anyone entering the area not to notice the tree - and possibly even being inspired by it if they intended to carve something into a nearby granite rock.

Mystery Rock in foreground with oak tree and cliff behind it ...

Mystery Rock Oak Tree and Cliff.jpg

Oak tree roots exposed ...

Mystery Rock Oak Tree Roots.jpg

Now for the complicated / spaghetti part. Freemason "Tree of Life" / "Kabbalah" symbolism. Notice the Crown / Bible at the top ...

Mystery Rock Tree of Life Freemason.JPG

Two more ...

Mystery Rock Tree of Life Freemason  Illustration.jpg

Mystery Rock Tree of Life Freemason Definitions.png

I acknowledge that a lot of the "Tree of Life" symbolism is missing from my interpretation - but I also want to reiterate what I discovered earlier, in that the meaning behind a lot of the symbolism used by Freemasons was only known by the individual who used it. In other words, the person who carved the design might have had the "Tree of Life" in mind but didn't feel it was necessary to incorporate every aspect of it - but rather only the aspects that were important to them on a personal level ...

Mystery Rock Tree of Life Defined.jpg

Footnote: Now you know what I mean about "Going out on a Limb" - But that's okay just so long as I don't fall off and break my neck! In other words, all observations, opinions, and theories are worth considering, even "Pasta Sauce" Yesterday when I said "I see Three" I should have said "I see a Tree"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread