Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Monument fire and the River Complex fire have burned up my favorite spots and getting close to grandma's mine on Coffee Creek, if that goes I'll lose all my mining gear including my Vortxrex dryland dredge. I feel Fish and Game should give me a refund on my deer tags but that's wishful thinking. I've always said California is my home and I won't leave but I am seriously considering just saying screw it and moving to Tennessee. I almost bought a property in Big Bar so I could have a place to be able to be close to the gold and be able to adopt some burros but that property is burnt up now. I tell myself my claim in Sierra County is safe but its a matter of safe for now. I'm out here in Tennessee helping my mom going to be back in California in a week or so see how it is when I get back. Delnorter I live in Humboldt have been curious about the gold possibilities in Del Norte.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
delnorter when that time comes and IF you drive through good ole St. Louis , Misery drop me PM and maybe if your close I can take you and yours out to lunch ?? IF your close to John "Hoser" Oates up in Redding , Cal. tell him I said hi! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N-Lionberger, I hope the best for you on your California properties. Yes, California is home but I’m glad I live as far north in the state as I can. We are somewhat insulated from much of the chaos of the rest of the state. I’m hoping for rain as one of my sons and I drew good X-Zone deer tags in the northeast part of the state. With the closures it’s not looking good.

There is good gold in the Smith River but it’s limited to small hand tools and pans and I’m told there is an ok season. With National Recreation Area as well as Wild and Scenic River designations on the Smith, there are limited opportunities. I believe there is only one f placer claim left within the entire River system. No new ones allowed.

I do most of my prospecting along the upper Klamath River.

Give me a call if you get up this way.

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the invite russau. If I get that way I’ll sure give you a jingle. Same goes for you and yours, come see the ocean and the Redwoods. The most beautiful country I’ve ever seen.

I’ve tried not been able to get any replies to my efforts to reach or inquire about John. I miss him.

Mike

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N-Lionberger, I hope the best for you on your California properties. Yes, California is home but I’m glad I live as far north in the state as I can. We are somewhat insulated from much of the chaos of the rest of the state. I’m hoping for rain as one of my sons and I drew good X-Zone deer tags in the northeast part of the state. With the closures it’s not looking good.

There is good gold in the Smith River but it’s limited to small hand tools and pans and I’m told there is an ok season. With National Recreation Area as well as Wild and Scenic River designations on the Smith, there are limited opportunities. I believe there is only one f placer claim left within the entire River system. No new ones allowed.

I do most of my prospecting along the upper Klamath River.

Give me a call if you get up this way.

Mike

Myrtle creek.
Coon creek. Great spots near you.

I use this pan. 15' Super Sluice. 15-SuperSluice-straight-on.jpg

Rumor is.... A few people hide sluice boxes a ways up the creeks, but the forest service/BLM are harsh if they catch you. . There are a few people sniping on the Smith also.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup that's my go to plastic pan. I also really like my 16"steel estwing pan. What would they do if they caught you running a rocker box?

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a copy of the closure order? Or a link address one could go to?

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monument fire and the River Complex fire have burned up my favorite spots and getting close to grandma's mine on Coffee Creek, if that goes I'll lose all my mining gear including my Vortxrex dryland dredge. I feel Fish and Game should give me a refund on my deer tags but that's wishful thinking. I've always said California is my home and I won't leave but I am seriously considering just saying screw it and moving to Tennessee. I almost bought a property in Big Bar so I could have a place to be able to be close to the gold and be able to adopt some burros but that property is burnt up now. I tell myself my claim in Sierra County is safe but its a matter of safe for now. I'm out here in Tennessee helping my mom going to be back in California in a week or so see how it is when I get back. Delnorter I live in Humboldt have been curious about the gold possibilities in Del Norte.

Contact Fish and Wildlife. Request a refund and keep your points, or you can request a replacement tag. That was posted in the Dixie/Beckwourth fires area page yesterday.

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd945702.pdf

Regional Order No. 21-04 USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region Emergency Forest Closure
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. ? 551 and 36 C.F.R. ? 261.50(a) and (b), and to provide for public safety and protect natural resources, the following acts are prohibited on National Forest System lands within the Pacific Southwest Region. This Order is effective from August 22, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. through September 6, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest
b. Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
c. Plumas National Forest
d. Lassen National Forest
e. Mendocino National Forest
f. Klamath National Forest
g. Six Rivers National Forest
h. Shasta-Trinity National Forest
i. Modoc National Forest
36 C.F.R. ? 261.52(e).
2. Being on a National Forest System road within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest
i. Modoc National Forest
36 C.F.R. ? 261.54(e).
3. Being on a National Forest System trail within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest

i. Modoc National Forest
36 C.F.R. ? 261.55(a).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. ? 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with Forest Service Permit No. FS-7700-48 (Permit for Use of Roads, Trails, or Areas Restricted by Regulation or Order), specifically exempting them from this Order.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
3. Persons with a Forest Service special use authorization for an electric transmission line, an oil or gas pipeline, communications site, or any other non-recreation special use.
4. Persons with a Forest Service non-special-use written authorization to conduct non- recreational activities, such as harvesting timber or forest products, or grazing livestock.
5. Owners or lessees of land, to the extent necessary to access their land.
6. Residents, to the extent necessary to access their residences.
7. Persons engaged in a business, trade, or occupation are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above, but may use National Forest System roads to the extent necessary to carry out their business, trade, or occupation.
These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions contained in 36 C.F.R. Part 261, Subpart A.
A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both.
16 U.S.C. ? 551 and 18 U.S.C. ?? 3559, 3571, and 3581.
Executed in Vallejo, California, this 19th day of August 2021.
JENNIFER EBERLIEN Regional Forester
Pacific Southwest Region

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Oregon Viking, those were historically good producers of gold. Much of the relatively small Smith River watershed had/has good gold.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thank you for the invite russau. If I get that way I’ll sure give you a jingle. Same goes for you and yours, come see the ocean and the Redwoods. The most beautiful country I’ve ever seen.

I’ve tried not been able to get any replies to my efforts to reach or inquire about John. I miss him.

Mike
ALSO THANKYOU FOR the invite ! We have relations out there and I agree the views & the Redwoods ! been there and done that BUT we enjoyed it while we were there ! :occasion14:

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not providing this information to give anyone with no bona fide reason to be using this exception, but there has been times I, and a few other M.E.G.s, having mineral estates within areas of forests on fire, where road blocks were set up to prevent people from entering the area, used the exception to the closure order (found at 36 Part 261 Subpart A--General Prohibitions Sec. 261.1 Scope (b) Nothing in this part shall preclude activities as authorized by the Wilderness Act of 1964 or the U.S. Mining Laws Act of 1872 as amended) to gain access to road(s) to our mineral estates to secure things in the fire's path. And let me be of first hand witness, things can get a bit concerning when you find yourself with an escape route covered with flames roaring over the road.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know that Tennessee would be to good of place either. EA09CD02-5C3A-4158-930C-2DA1E8883654.jpg

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Im in Fort Bragg California and they have closed everything down out of fear of fire, covid, logging protests, alien abductions, Trumps fault and salamander crossing.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don?t know that Tennessee would be to good of place either. View attachment 1944199

Truck For sale. One owner, clean title in hand. Taken on occasional off road excursions so they have a few bumps and bruises here and there and are a bit muddy on the inside, but otherwise run good!

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That’s middle Tennessee in the flat land. Where my mom was at is in the hills of East Tennessee. Doesn’t really flood like that there. The fire has reached grandmas mine on Coffee Creek. I’m assuming the worst as it’s like a Christmas tree on the satellite hot spot map. The cabin has this big crack in the wall from when it was knocked on its side in the 1964 flood. Looks like I’ll be out my Vortxrex, my 4 and 6 subsurface dredges, my back pack dredge, my 4 surface dredge, my highbanker, my drywashers. I hate to think about the 10 stamp Hendy mill up on the hill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread