Native American carvings?

CandiceTenn

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago, while kayaking, I found a rock that is about 19" x12" with what I believe are Native American carvings. I have had it sitting on my porch since. I would love to find out if it is actually carvings, or some very coincidental natural formations. If it is a native American artifact, I would love to know more about it. I have included a picture, and would be happy to add more if necessary. Thank you so much for your time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    875.2 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET, Candice. I would agree they are carvings, but not by Native Americans. Your specimen looks like mudstone. During some flood, millions of years ago, the fine sediment settled, probably in a lake with no current. Those carvings were made by aquatic bugs, crawling around in the silt, looking for food. They're called trace fossils. Later, they were covered by other sediment, buried deeper, turned to stone, then eroded out for you to find. Really cool, fossilized bug trails. A nice specimen!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET, Candice. I would agree they are carvings, but not by Native Americans. Your specimen looks like mudstone. During some flood, millions of years ago, the fine sediment settled, probably in a lake with no current. Those carvings were made by aquatic bugs, crawling around in the silt, looking for food. They're called trace fossils. Later, they were covered by other sediment, buried deeper, turned to stone, then eroded out for you to find. Really cool, fossilized bug trails. A nice specimen!

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Evidently someone who posted a geofact and got butt hurt when I told him so. SMH

Probably so, Grim. Like I used to tell some smart a-- sailor when I was trying to train a group on some equipment, "Shut up and learn." 'Course, can't say that here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread