Native American Peace Pipe (Eastern Woodlands) or not?

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
For your consideration.

Another Native American Relic of questionable origin. I purchased this about the time I acquired the now infamous steatite Rattlesnake Gorget. In my defense, I haven't fallen victim to any additional impulse buys to date...lol

If this wasn't made by a Native American, what could it be? It was once displayed in a now defunct museum sometime in the late 19th century. Perhaps nothing more than a facsimile created for display?

I've had this item appraised by an academic at the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in Eastern Woodland Indian culture and artifacts. As follows, here is her evaluation of my apparently not so "important" and "valuable" Peace Pipe! However, I never accept one opinion, regardless of their credentials.

BEGIN EVALUATION:

"Having looked carefully at the photographs you sent, I do not believe this pipe is a valuable authentic artifact. The pipe is very crudely carved, the sinew is very crudely twisted around the bowl, and the wooden stem is far newer than the stone bowl. Taken together, all of the component parts do not a appear to fit together well or tightly enough to even function as a pipe.

If asked to guess, I would suspect that this entire assemblage was cobbled together for some amateur purpose, perhaps in some kind of show, or play, or other act of "playing Indian."

The bowl may be old, but if so, it is the poorest example of steatite pipe carving that I have ever seen. The museum tag is not helpful in establishing age or ethnicity or authenticity. So, in sum, it is likely an antique "fake repro" of an Eastern Woodlands pipe."

END EVALUATION

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Best regards,

JG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
The professor did validate the authenticity of my other Native American relics (excepting the gorget...of coure...lol), so I do value her opinion. I recently purchased an old collection of grooved axes, celts, bird stones, projectiles, net weights, stone mortars, pestles and the like found in various places around the Delaware River Valley in PA and NJ.

Thank you for your response. I had to google "FWIW ". Isn't that embarrassing?

Best regards,

JG

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: dognose

The item is at least 120 years old. It wasn't made in China last Tuesday. The question, is whether it was actually made by a Native American. I don't believe the professor ever factored in the possibility that the pipe was made by someone with American Indian ancestry during a period of cultural decline (post colonial), which might have effected the maker's ability or skill. The Pipe came from the Chesapeake. It could have been made by a person of Pamunky, Mattaponi or Chickahominy extraction in the late 19th century. History is complicated, and the answer to a question is not always as straightforward or easily resolved as it might seem. And it might have been made by Barnum and Bailey Circus in 1899. I don't think it's a closed case.

Here in NJ, a woman of Lenape ancestry was making and selling baskets in my community well into the mid-19th century. Her baskets looked very little like those made by her ancestors.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i love the tag... nice touch... i gotta remember that when i sell my "artifacts"....

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it started out as an authentic pipe bowl with a broken stem, that established, someone evened up the stem reamed out the hole and that’s what you have. ( modern rework on an old piece ).,re wrap it, stick it on a larger diameter handle, stick some feathers on it, display it if you like it..Nobody has to like it but you.,Maybe even smoke it

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it started out as an authentic pipe bowl with a broken stem, that established, someone evened up the stem reamed out the hole and that’s what you have. ( modern rework on an old piece ).,re wrap it, stick it on a larger diameter handle, stick some feathers on it, display it if you like it..Nobody has to like it but you.,Maybe even smoke it

So, what you're saying is that I have a 'married' piece? (As they say on Antiques Roadshow). Partly authentic, partly refurbished?

'Feathers?' Come one...lol
I do have Indian tobacco and sumac growing on my property. Maybe I'll have a puff...lol

CC: unclemac

i love the tag... nice touch... i gotta remember that when i sell my "artifacts"....

Man, talk about rubbing salt in the wounds!...lol

Regards,

JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread