Native American Stone Axe Head

Cheesehead

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2022
Found this in an old family trunk, posted it on FB and I was told by a local archeology tech that it’s a 3/4 groove, Native American, Middle Archaic, 3000-1000 BCE. We believe it was likely found by a relative here in Wisconsin, probably plowing a field. I asked her if it was valuable, she said it was but that professional ethics prevented her from offering any estimate, and suggested I could check eBay. I did, and the prices go from $50 all the way up to thousands of dollars. I assume value is based on age and condition? If we decide to sell it, does anyone know someone near Madison WI that might be able to give us an idea on its value? Thank you.

Attachments

• 05F061A5-2B53-4EDA-AAD3-115BDD12B888.jpeg
    05F061A5-2B53-4EDA-AAD3-115BDD12B888.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
  • BF8DA58B-5846-4845-BC1C-6E4846A5F809.jpeg
    BF8DA58B-5846-4845-BC1C-6E4846A5F809.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 16

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this in an old family trunk, posted it on FB and I was told by a local archeology tech that it’s a 3/4 groove, Native American, Middle Archaic, 3000-1000 BCE. We believe it was likely found by a relative here in Wisconsin, probably plowing a field. I asked her if it was valuable, she said it was but that professional ethics prevented her from offering any estimate, and suggested I could check eBay. I did, and the prices go from $50 all the way up to thousands of dollars. I assume value is based on age and condition? If we decide to sell it, does anyone know someone near Madison WI that might be able to give us an idea on its value? Thank you.
Really nice. Great symmetry, great polish. Not experienced in prices.....but certainly several hundred bucks I would guess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a 3/4 groove, it is black hardstone/hematite "full groove" ax, pictures appear to show it in good condition too.

Value is always subjective, value is what ever is the most someone is willing to pay. At least $200-$300.

3/4 groove would have no groove at the top of the head, while full groove has groove all the way around.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2022
Not a 3/4 groove, it is black hardstone/hematite "full groove" ax, pictures appear to show it in good condition too.

Value is always subjective, value is what ever is the most someone is willing to pay. At least $200-$300.

3/4 groove would have no groove at the top of the head, while full groove has groove all the way around.
Thank you. The top is smooth, the pictures I took don’t show that well. About the same value?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. The top is smooth, the pictures I took don’t show that well. About the same value?
Does the groove go around the entire head, no picture posted without groove?

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2022

Here is a better picture of the top
Does the groove go around the entire head, no picture posted without groove?
No, the groove is only on three sides, the top is smooth.

Attachments

• A51DE3B1-B9EA-4744-8C6C-A7562038ECF6.jpeg
    A51DE3B1-B9EA-4744-8C6C-A7562038ECF6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does not look like hematite to me. If true hematite I think it should be magnetic. The small hematite axe I have is more brownish like rusty iron. I cannot show it since I am on vacation. It is also heavier than the black stone ones I have.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2022
That does not look like hematite to me. If true hematite I think it should be magnetic. The small hematite axe I have is more brownish like rusty iron. I cannot show it since I am on vacation. It is also heavier than the black stone ones I have.
It is not magnetic

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know I saw a small Hemitite adz a friend found in Ohio & I remember it was brown.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert by any means but I've watched a few nice axes sell and that looks to be in pristine condition. I would guess that someone buying it for resale might offer $150 while a collector might offer $300, plus or minus a little bit.

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool 3/4” axe… I have one very similar.. I also noticed lack of polish in the groove… my guess is it’s been “oiled.”— “greased “ to give that appearance…. I find it odd… here’s a pic. I found, note the polish in the groove

Attachments

• F094E75A-90AD-423A-92F6-B79E138342FA.jpeg
    F094E75A-90AD-423A-92F6-B79E138342FA.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 32

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread