Native American tools or bust?

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, Im brand new, and infatuated with treasure hunting, particularly for Native American artifacts ( although I seem to mainly just find pottery)

All the pieces here ( with the exception of the 3 in the top right corner are from my very first hunt. Curious as to if anyone could give me some insight on if I may have have found any legit arrowheads or Native American tools. The area hunted is old farm land in PA. I know other things have been found on that site in the past ( like arrowheads and a cannonball even)

reverseside2.JPG IMG_7855.JPG IMG_7861.JPG IMG_7865.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

Sorry, I do not see anything in pictures that says artifact.

Upvote 0

apdp

Dec 7, 2010
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the left black piece in the first picture, nothing else though. Look for pieces that have chipping marks on their edges. Chip marks will be less than a quarter inch.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up! Once you learn what to look for you'll be on you're way. PS. Go over to the North American Indian Forum and check out what those guys find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginners look for shapes.
You want to train your eye to look for color, proper stone, and human alteration.

The black piece and the quartz piece are the direction you want to go.
The other rocks are wasting your time.

Train your eye on these and you'll do better ... ignore that other stuff.

NW Collection.jpg

Quartz.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Beginners look for shapes.
You want to train your eye to look for color, proper stone, and human alteration.

The black piece and the quartz piece are the direction you want to go.
The other rocks are wasting your time.

Train your eye on these and you'll do better ... ignore that other stuff.

View attachment 1640299

thanks Im going to keep searching , pretty much addicted at this point

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

Research Paleo occupation in your area. There was more than one migration and since the Ice sheet extended into Pa. you might find anything there. Tool making was an individual effort. You had toolmakers that were real artisans and others that only did enough to get by. The media will also vary by area. Northern peoples were more likely to use what they found laying on the surface because the ground was too hard to mine. They used quartzite, basalt and sometimes even bone from the game they killed. Points made from basalt won't show chipping because it weathers too much. You can also expect to find dozens of chips for every nice point you find. To me the most likely sample is the point in the middle of Pic one.
On newly plowed ground, after a hard rain, go out in the early morning and walk directly into the sun. Harder minerals will a have a smoother surface and will reflect light readily. Also some of the media they used react to either ultraviolet or infrared light, both components of sunlight. When you start seeing those glints of sunlight start looking for unusual shapes and colors, that stand out amongst the more common fragments. Watch for partially buried specimens.
Soon enough your mind and you eyes will become tuned to instantly spot shapes and angles that don't commonly occur in nature.

Best wishes and good hunting-----Phil

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please feel free to post pictures of your pottery, and if folk managed to eyeball a cannonball (presumably Rev. War) on the farm it sounds like a great place to swing a detector if you ever want a change of pace from collecting artifacts. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
FullSizeRender - Copy (4).jpg

here is a picture of some of the pottery i have found on accident. It has all been found at the same site yet
I am unclear and a little doubtful that it the pieces i have grouped together are correctly placed as i have found similar looking pieces several yards and yards away from their visible similar matches ( all still on very old tilled farm land in PA)

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1640978

here is a picture of some of the pottery i have found on accident. It has all been found at the same site yet
I am unclear and a little doubtful that it the pieces i have grouped together are correctly placed as i have found similar looking pieces several yards and yards away from their visible similar matches ( all still on very old tilled farm land in PA)

Sorry, they are not American indian pottery pieces.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this is glazed pottery.
Could be 1800s, it looks old.
I'd expect a site of this sort to have some metal.

Have you found any metal ... nails, fencing wire, coins ... anything ?

Upvote 0

Clo

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be metal detecting where that glazed pottery was found if I were you. I’m not saying give up on the NA artifacts, just telling you to double dip on the property. And here in Mississippi, an old homestead will often be located on a NA campsite. They both needed the same things (high ground and a nearby water source).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a bunch of old knob and tube insulators , as for metal, a cannonball and a coin and button have been found in the past at that site ( not by me ) ... I did find an old piece of or metal i couldnt identify ( very rusted ) but somone told me it looked like a piece of equipment that would have gone into a horses mouth ... and this whatever this is .. probably just an old broken hoe? ... ddvfdf.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread