Native Silver Specimens for Refinement or Other Uses

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have available is native (lode) silver specimens, that still contains some sulfide. There is no silica or much iron. The area they originate from doesn't have large iron deposits, at least not at the elevation where these were at.

The pieces as you see them in the photos appear as cooled molted metal. It's very unmistakable. Being specimens, there will still be nominal sulfides hanging around, and some trace of base metals, which is typical for any native metal specimen.

The visitor to this ad can use their own judgment as to whether they are molten metal or not. Now why this matters is that there are very, very, few metals that occur naturally in pure form.

These are the metals that occur naturally in pure form;

Gold (Noble)
Silver
Copper
Platinum (Noble)
Iridosmine or Osmiridium (Noble)
Arsenic
Bismuth

You can learn more here - https://www.911metallurgist.com/blo...minerals-naturally-occurring-metals-pure-form they also list minerals that occur in native form. However none of them fit the specimens you're seeing.

The specimens do collect tarnish in the form of sulfides readily. We smoke here, so it doesn't take much waiting to observe this. Use tarnish remover of your preference and they clean back up.

Arsenic does not melt as liquid like you see in these pieces. There's no evidence of Arsenic that I've noticed. And Bismuth when it cools, makes those cool looking crystals. It's also an area not known for native Bismuth. The area is however rich in gold and silver. Some lead is present, but not big amounts. Galena has not been mentioned there, just "lead contamination" in the silver and gold, but this is random. Use a cupel, you'll be fine.

I will sell them at 20% above spot for orders below $200. For orders at $200 or above, I'll sell for spot, however it will be rounded up to the nearest $1.00 I like dealing in whole numbers preferably.

I have melted one 4 ounce bar out of it. Problem is I can't source large crucibles at the moment. I'm trying an experiment with Plaster of Paris however to make some perhaps. If there any ideas, PM me!

I have only cleaned tarnish off of these. The brown you see is more tarnish. I have untarnished ones still, they look the same just ugly.

I do now have regular access to a chain mill crusher, but these don't like crushing. They do still have minerals present, so with enough force they can. But some won't. They are fairly easy to melt though as long as you can fit them in crucible. If you have to break them, one thing that works is to heat them up a bit. That'll weaken any minerals and possibly work. I have several though that still don't break.

Native metal specimens do contain other metals. Silver with gold, platinum, etc. These alloys can affect the properties of the metals contained in the specimen.

The specimens weigh from an ounce up to 13 ounces.

Alaska does not offer fire assay services, and thus I do not know any percentage of Silver vs Electrum (Natural Gold and Silver alloy).

For payments I'll do bankwires and CashApp. I am happy to verify who I am via ID, video meeting, virtual tour of my place, blah, blah, blah. I guarantee what I'm sending, but refunds will only be given if they're returned promptly at the buyer's expense.

I will ship internationally under the same rules, but we will determine shipping based on what I get quoted by shipping services. These pieces are worth it to ship to some countries depending on the rate.

Shipments will go out same (business) day if payment is verified. I live just outside the city of Palmer, Alaska. The Post Office is 10 minutes away. And we don't have traffic jams, so I don't have quick access problems.

Alaska is on Alaska Time Zone, we are one hour behind California, and I believe four behind New York. So you can estimate how much to time I have to ship that day. Makes it easy! Also if you call, take this into consideration. I won't answer typically before 9 am, if I do, I usually assume it's a solicitor and I'm mean. We all know the type I'm referring to.

See photos below. These are not my entire inventory. I will provide photos of specimens before sending a shipment for buyer approval if requested. I will ship for applicable fees. They will be shipped with Insurance for the sale amount, and signature confirmation of buyer only. I'm not doing it any other way, and tracking of course will be provided.

Attachments

• 20211017_225619.jpg
    20211017_225619.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211017_230308.jpg
    20211017_230308.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211017_230433.jpg
    20211017_230433.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 8.82 Silver (004).jpg
    8.82 Silver (004).jpg