Navy Buttons?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I found these two buttons Monday at an older 1923 camp site. I have had trouble finding the exact image online, with any information. The eagle on these buttons is looking to OUR right, and BOTH his legs are clutching the anchor shank.
I can find lots of the 'near-miss' buttons with the eagle facing the same way, but with his leg (on OUR left side) both diagonal and clutching the anchor T-bar. Mine are the two in my hand, I included the other photos as a reference to the differences and what I am finding 'everywhere.'
I saw a post on Friendly Metal Detecting Forum from 2011 and it was mentioned that this MAY NOT be a military button, but a civilian button?
Has anyone here found any solid information on these buttons? If so, where and what did you find?

02-21-22 Camp  Hunt- Best (2).jpg

Attachments

• 02-21-22 Camp  Hunt- Best 1851-1941 Navy Buttons.PNG
    02-21-22 Camp Hunt- Best 1851-1941 Navy Buttons.PNG
    145.3 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 16

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking buttons. I don't have a button book, but I wonder if these could be Naval buttons from the War of 1812. Someone will chime in shortly that can better help with the ID. Best of luck to you.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I found these two buttons Monday at an older 1923 camp site. I have had trouble finding the exact image online, with any information. The eagle on these buttons is looking to OUR right, and BOTH his legs are clutching the anchor shank.
I can find lots of the 'near-miss' buttons with the eagle facing the same way, but with his leg (on OUR left side) both diagonal and clutching the anchor T-bar. Mine are the two in my hand, I included the other photos as a reference to the differences and what I am finding 'everywhere.'
I saw a post on Friendly Metal Detecting Forum from 2011 and it was mentioned that this MAY NOT be a military button, but a civilian button?
Has anyone here found any solid information on these buttons? If so, where and what did you find?

View attachment 2011811
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaRebel1861 IDing them back the back side will be limited to the thread eyes, I'm afraid. They are bi-metal and the steel backs have rusted beyond legibility. Unless someone can tell me how to clean them (I don't have electrolysis) without harming the brass?

Attachments

• 02-21-22 Camp Hunt.png
    02-21-22 Camp Hunt.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 02-21-22 Camp  Hunt- Buttons3 (2).jpg
    02-21-22 Camp Hunt- Buttons3 (2).jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 22

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey neighbor, glad you got out! Another week before it thaws again!
Bob
Lucky you, I’ve got at least three more weeks up here. Big snowstorm rolling in tonight and tomorrow.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2011811
very cool buttons indeed, well played sir

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to say but your buttons are civilian fashion ones from the mid 20th century. I think everyone who has hunted has found one. When I found my first one I was very excited until I found out what it was.

You beat me to it fyrffytr1. :thumbsup:
Great looking buttons with incredible detail, but as fyrffytr1 already mentioned, modern 20thc coat buttons.
Dave

Attachments

• 02-21-22 Camp Maurer Hunt- Buttons2-crop.jpg
    02-21-22 Camp Maurer Hunt- Buttons2-crop.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread