Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, It was a beautiful day today in NC, so I was able to swing a little. Near the edge of a local pond, I found this brass North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission tag. It is also marked 1950. The back is blank.

I did some research, and 'think' it is a fish net tag, but am not sure because the only one I could find like it was marked, 'fish net tag,' and it was dated 1952.

I'd like to know what year NC required fish net tags and why, but have not been successful. Also, I'd like to know if it could be cleaned and brought back to life or is it toasted? Would I clean it the same way as a brass button?

I also found an unknown in the same area, and will put that up in a different post.

Thanks in advance! :) Breezie
FishTag1950.jpg

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any thoughts on cleaning? :) Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Likely had to tag their nets that they kept their catch in to show they were within the laws of quantity and size caught.

Thanks for the reply. One thing I found strange is the fact the pond is very small and is located in a residential area, so I can't imagine someone doing commercial fishing there. Do you think the everyday fisherman had to have a tag from the State for their nets? Breezie

Upvote 0

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang, It was a beautiful day today in NC, so I was able to swing a little. Near the edge of a local pond, I found this brass North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission tag. It is also marked 1950. The back is blank.

I did some research, and 'think' it is a fish net tag, but am not sure because the only one I could find like it was marked, 'fish net tag,' and it was dated 1952.

I'd like to know what year NC required fish net tags and why, but have not been successful. Also, I'd like to know if it could be cleaned and brought back to life or is it toasted? Would I clean it the same way as a brass button?

I also found an unknown in the same area, and will put that up in a different post.

Thanks in advance! :) Breezie
View attachment 756269
i had a chauffers tag that was in the same condition.i used a sos pad on it..it cleaned up nicely.
owg..

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Thanks for the reply. One thing I found strange is the fact the pond is very small and is located in a residential area, so I can't imagine someone doing commercial fishing there. Do you think the everyday fisherman had to have a tag from the State for their nets? Breezie
Actually, I may have been wrong about the use... I seem to see these associated more with gillnet fishing (which I was previously unfamiliar with)... So, anyway, more relevant might have been the update above which I appear to have posted while you were typing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWG, I was going to soak it first in some lemon juice & salt. I don't have an SOS pads, but do have some 0000 Steel Wool, which probably won't scratch it.

Benz, I was not familiar with gillnet fishing either, but am reading about it. Actually I have seen it done at the beach, but didn't know that was what it was called. It still amazes me that someone would use something like a gillnet in that tiny pond. There are points were I can throw a rock across it.

Thanks fellows :) Breezie

Upvote 0

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets see lemon juice and salt??? might as well throw in some tequila. don't forget the popcorn..lol
owg..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread