Near Wagon Wheel

Agentmarysutton

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2021
So yesterday I made my first post as I just got a detector. Im super brand new. First day out I found what I believed to have been the remnants of an old wagon wheel on my property. Today I go back to see if I can find something in the general area. One foot away I found an old horse shoe. To me that is the coolest thing since sliced bread. 🤣 to know someone was one right there on my land in that exact spot a long time ago. The horse shoe is the icing on the cake. I also found this round copper looking object. Any idea what it may be?

Attachments

• 20211230_170332.jpg
    20211230_170332.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 145
  • 20211230_170153.jpg
    20211230_170153.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211230_170122.jpg
    20211230_170122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 20211230_170112.jpg
    20211230_170112.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Upvote 10

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum & best wishes for more exciting finds in this new hobby of yours & ours. Very fun & interesting way to pass some time. You'll get better as you continue to learn your new machine.
Some good tips in your first post about the hoop you found.
Sounds like a great piece of property you have & hopefully there are some nice old coins there waiting for you to uncover.
Your first silver or gold will be quite a thrill.
In the meantime, my first thought of your round copper looking thing was 1/2 of a woman's compact or locket. It's always good to post pictures like that next to a quarter or half dollar so we can judge the size of the object in comparison.
My second thought is it could be the back of an old pocket watch.
I think I see some letters on the edge of the inside but I'm not sure what letters they are. Maybe an "M" & a "F" & a "G" but I'm not sure. You should look closely with a magnifier after wetting it a bit. Maybe some of our fellow T-Netters can see it more clearly & figure out what your item might be.
The enclosed image has the "lettering" outlined in red.
CHEERS !! HAPPY HUNTING & HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
watch back.png

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I made my first post as I just got a detector. Im super brand new. First day out I found what I believed to have been the remnants of an old wagon wheel on my property. Today I go back to see if I can find something in the general area. One foot away I found an old horse shoe. To me that is the coolest thing since sliced bread. 🤣 to know someone was one right there on my land in that exact spot a long time ago. The horse shoe is the icing on the cake. I also found this round copper looking object. Any idea what it may be?
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum & best wishes for more exciting finds in this new hobby of yours & ours. Very fun & interesting way to pass some time. You'll get better as you continue to learn your new machine.
Some good tips in your first post about the hoop you found.
Sounds like a great piece of property you have & hopefully there are some nice old coins there waiting for you to uncover.
Your first silver or gold will be quite a thrill.
In the meantime, my first thought of your round copper looking thing was 1/2 of a woman's compact or locket. It's always good to post pictures like that next to a quarter or half dollar so we can judge the size of the object in comparison.
My second thought is it could be the back of an old pocket watch.
I think I see some letters on the edge of the inside but I'm not sure what letters they are. Maybe an "M" & a "F" & a "G" but I'm not sure. You should look closely with a magnifier after wetting it a bit. Maybe some of our fellow T-Netters can see it more clearly & figure out what your item might be.
The enclosed image has the "lettering" outlined in red.
CHEERS !! HAPPY HUNTING & HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
View attachment 1999584
Makes me think it's a back to a pocket watch.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, those are 2 solid first finds...welcome to probably the greatest hobby ever invented. Over 12 years now for me when I first started out...have learned more about history than I ever imagined. Like you, i think about how a person stood in that same spot long ago and lost something, or how it got there in the first place. Have dug 0ver 1500 coins and hundreds of relics from farms, battlefields and trade posts. You meet so many good people too. Swing slow and listen to the detector. Round objects is mainly what most people are after...coins, tokens, rings ect....they give solid VDIs no matter how you approach a target. Dig all signals the first year is the advice I followed, and it really helped me learn trash from treasure...Good luck out there !

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...that round copper object reminds me of a replacement lid for a can of Copenhagen snuff. plz include a coin or something like for a size reference when making pics...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper thing is a compact, keep digging I'm sure there must be lots more stuff to find. Your doing great so far, keep digging!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep going.
It's a good idea to get in the habit of systematically gridding an area.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forums.
Nothing like digging up som history on your own property. Well done!

I agree with the others of it being a half of compact case.
Art Deco type design possibly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread