Neat trick for hunting with my 7 year old grandson

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My grandson is 7 I want to introduce him to metal detecting. We will be hunting a park next to the river and a 4 lane road with heavy traffic. It will drown out the more subtle tones using the external speaker.

So I found out that I can let him use my Trond wireless earphones and I use a wired pair of earphones. Works perfectly.

He is my digging buddy and pinpointer so he gets the wireless set. Me I am just the swinger and I can deal with the wired set.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sheer genius pulltabfelix!
Gonna try this with my nephew. This way we can talk about the signals and make guesses about what it will be. Of course where possible can just use the detector on speaker. He can use his own pinpointer and digger. Can also use him as camera man, lol

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting out with grandkids is certainly a very special time.

And I don't even mind that she is more fascinated with worms and ants and things than whatever treasure may lurk in the dirt. :love4:

62254057_10219390119333960_7448299217769988096_n.jpg

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took my 7 year old grandson to the park this morning with the headphone setup described in the original post. It worked quite well. He really got more interested when we started finding pennies, dimes and quarters that he can put in his coin bank.

He has the shovel and pinpointer. I find the target and he hears the different tone the same as I do. He is picking up the digging and pinpointing techniques pretty fast. And yes when there is a worm or bug in the hole that captures his attention for a moment until I get him refocused. It was lots of fun and he ask me later when will we do it again.
Footnote: He even got excided over the pull tabs and pop tops we found and wanted to keep them. So I let him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread