Need a good kids detector...

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took my 4 year old nephew out detecting at the park. He loved it!! What 4yr old boy wouldn't love digging in the dirt and finding things. Anyway he wanted bad to swing my DFX, but it was all he could handle lifting it, so he was relegated to running the pinpoint on the holes I dug. I would like to get him a metal detector more his size, but am afraid if I get him one of the "all metal" kid's cheapos he'll lose intrest. Does anyone make a good kid-size metal detector with some of the features of a quality detector, ie.. descrimination ? Something not too complicated, but a detector he can use at four yrs. old, and grow into.

Thanks,

Greg

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only detectors I know that are light enough for a 4 year old to use are the cheap Radio Shack jobbies. They will work after a fashion, but I would think anything else would be to much beyond him.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Check into the Tesoro's, they are pretty light detectors and you can get one at a decent price, too.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say try the Garrett Ace 250 or 150. The Ace 250 is just over $200. The setup is not THAT complicated, but he still might not be able to set it up yet (but would he any detector?)...you can for him. Once the controls are set, he really won't need to change anything. Additionally, it will be a detector he will be able to use for years to come.

-matt-

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Take a look at the Fisher F2. It has great disc circuit, very lightweight, pinpointing is a breeze, much easier than the Ace 250, I don't even use the pinpoint button I just X the target. 199.00 and you get an additional 4" coil with the lower rod already attached. Good Luck!
Glenn

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is...

I would have to say go with either the Tesoro Compadre ($152) or Tesoro Silver µMax ($239). The Compadre has just one knob and the Silver µMax has just two knobs. Either is very easy to use. I personally have and use the Tesoro Silver µMax. Either one only weighs approximately 2.2 pounds and don't forget about the lifetime warranty. Light weight and easy to use, even for a little guy. I know as my grandson has used mine.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very hard to beat the Tesoro Compadre for the price. It performs way better than one might think.
HH
Bill

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
My vote is for the Compadre. It was my first detector because of the light weight and the cheap price. Great little detector. Still use it as my primary land machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Hsjrev

You got it right. I researched for months trying to find the best bang for the buck and eventually stumbled upon the $59 one at Amazon.com.

As many of you already know, I have somewhere between zero and few opinions on anything and I don't post my opinions either. I tolerate people's opinions primarily due to being understanding of those who rely primarily on their own personal "feelings", instead of dealing with facts, but that's the only reason I tolerate it. I don't bore people with my emotions or my gut feelings either. I stay as strictly to the facts as I humanly can.

The guts inside the cheapie I speak of are surprizingly similar to the Tesoro Compadre's circuitry but has a slight bit less voltage sending and receiving. This roughly equates to somewhere between 1/2" to 1" less depth than the Compadre, but it's IDEAL for small kids due to it's weight. Additionally, it makes it very responsive to the real tiny objects and those of lower conductivity too. I can not find anything else as light in weight nor easier to operate as that little "China junk" detector. It even has a volume and sensitivity control, and both of them work quite well too. It even has a facade meter, one that swings no matter if you find a needle or a trash can lid, but kids like the meter so that's the only reason that it's there. My one very slightweight 36 year old daughter liked it more than any other detector I have shown her. Her diminutive daughter age 3 and at at a very tiny 30 pounds can use it, but my Prism 3 is too heavy for her and so is an Ace 250 and the F-2. She might be able to handle a Compadre but she is just too small to carry such a heavy thing, and when you do the math, this sort of starts making a bit of sense too.

Here it is in a nutshell: I'll avoid using Set Theory or any complicated or linear algebra, but if you want it, PM me and maybe I'll bore you to tears with all kinds of formulas and other unnecessary BS that would waste everybody's time on this post.

At 30 pounds, a 1.5 lb detector is at a ratio of (20 to 1) for a 30 pound girl, or, 5% of her body weight

At 30 pounds, a 2.2 pound detector is a ratio of (13.6 to 1) for 7.3% of her body weight

At 30 pounds, a 3.0 pound detector would hit a whopping 10% of her body weight

At my 210 pounds, an easily carried ratio of (140 to 1) for a 1.5 pound detector, but to equal the massive weight ratio of the 2.2 pound detector compared to what the little 30 pound girl has to carry.. I would be using a $$%*@# detector that weighed in at a massive 14.7 pounds!

An equality ratio of a 3 pound detector for a 30 pound girl would have to weigh 21 enormous pounds for me at my 210 pounds!

Now who in Hades would want to use a detector that weighed that much? I may not be the smartest person on the planet, but I'm not the stupidest either.

So why would someone buy a detector that weighs enough to cause someone to have to be arrested for child abuse?

Not me.

Go with the lightest of all detectors, and one that works and has been proven by someone or some ones who know a bit about it and won't BS anybody with just their opinions and liberal-group-rhetoric or unfounded BS. And when the kids get to be around half my weight get him or her one that weighs half what another detector weighs. It's in the math. And the little cheapie works super well too, and a lot better than one could "feel".

'Nuf said

Have a pleasant day all.

EasyMoney

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Bandido Umax that I picked up for 80 bucks. I put a 4 inch Tesoro Coil on it and shortened the shaft and my kids had no problems with it at all. With the stock coil, it weighed about 2 lbs. With the 4 inch, it weighs considerably less. The weight issue for my boys was the coil. It is not so muc the weight on the arm, it is that counter weight at the end of the shaft that is difficult for the little guys to handle. Like Sandman says though, the smaller kids versions would probably do her well, especially on a playground around the swings and slides and stuff. I can tell you from experience that her attention span will be short if she is not finding something every 30 seconds or so.

I would suggest that you give her some small responsibility with helping you hunt. They seem to like that just as well. I let my boys carry the goody bag intially, then they progressed into being the official digger and now they are doing the full monty.

Good luck and I hope she develops into your life long hunting partner.

DaChief!

MD Detector

Greenie
Jul 6, 2008
hi

kids detector should be small and lovely and I recommend waterproof probe can meet your need

this model is only USD60.00/PC DHL freight included send to your address
you can pay by paypal.com and specification as follows

I can offer pinpointer for USD60.00/PC DHL freight included send to your address
you can pay by paypal.com and specification as follows

High Sensitivity Pinpiont Probe is a miniature version of a primary detector.
It communicates through sound and lights, has waterproof detect pole and comes with
the belt mountable holster for easy carrying ( alternative selection ) .

The modern electronics and simple to use design makes locating elusive targets easy in any environment including grass,
mud, dirt, sand, black sand, or even in wet place. Also, it can be used in detecting the steel
rods and other metal materials in concrete wall. The detector is versatile and easy to use.

Specification: Power 9V
Operate Voltage 7V~9V
Indicator Visual LED display
Sound Speaker
Function Detect Metal
Control On/Off Control
Control Sensitivity Control
Sensitivity *** 1.2~ 1.4 inch testing USD 25cent
Sensitivity **** 0.05 inch testing pin of Ø0.035 inch, length 0.1 inch
copper, steel, gold, silver, tin, aluminum
Pinpoint Waterproof
Weight of Unit 105g
Size of Unit 103(long) × 60(wide) × 25 (high) mm
Color Black
Packing Unit Size: 10.3 × 6 × 2.30 cm
Gross Weight: 163g/PC

sincerely

MD Detector

Attachments

• MD2002B.gif
    MD2002B.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 250
  • MD2002B.gif
    MD2002B.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 245

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EasyMoney, you covered it lots better than I did.

My Grand daughter which is 8 wanted to detect so I threw some coins out on the grass and shower her how to use the Fisher 1235, my lightest detector. She found all the coins in a few minutes an handed me the detector saying, "I am done with this."

MD Detector

Greenie
Jul 6, 2008
MD2002B Metal Detector Probe

(^-^) hope you like is and Price USD50.00 DHL Freight included

Attachments

• MD2002B.gif
    MD2002B.gif
    49.4 KB · Views: 158

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a nice little deal I ran across the other day. It's worth looking into.

http://dealnews.com/Bounty-Hunter-B...-free-shipping/239886.html?ref=rss_dealnews_7

Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
$41 + free shipping
Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
Buy.com offers the Bounty Hunter Pioneer VLF Metal Detector for $40.99. With free shipping, it's the lowest total price we've seen by $16. Forgetful pirates take note: This metal detector features a target indicator, "trash eliminator", built-in speaker, and more. Never again forget where you buried that booty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread