burley, idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Gold Bug 2
gpx 5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a choice between a 6 inch and a 15 inch coil, which would you get

Where I live Burley, Idaho is not necessarily an old town, so when I go metal detecting, silver as well as older coins is hard to come by
Is the advantage of a 6 inch in it's maneuverability and getting "in between trash" or does it actually pick out targets better. Or in this choice is the coiltek 5x10 be better than the 6 inch.
Would the coiltek 15 inch give me more advantage by going deeper and maybe pick out stuff further down

I'm older and retired and on a limited budget; but I would like to pick up another coil, I just don't know which is the best

Most of my searches are in Parks
and occasionally old homes.
on rare occasions might take a vacation to a Beach, but we're only talking once every 5 years.

My gut feeling is the 15 inch, but i'm not a great decision guy.

thx
jack
Burley, idaho

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love semi eliptical coils.5X 10 would be for me. Long enough to get some coverage and depth, narrow enough to get in between bushes etc and light enough to actually swing longer....not as fatiguing as the big monsters. The tiny ones are slow going if you dont have specific place or have time constraints.

chub

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a choice between a 6 inch and a 15 inch coil, which would you get

Where I live Burley, Idaho is not necessarily an old town, so when I go metal detecting, silver as well as older coins is hard to come by
Is the advantage of a 6 inch in it's maneuverability and getting "in between trash" or does it actually pick out targets better. Or in this choice is the coiltek 5x10 be better than the 6 inch.
Would the coiltek 15 inch give me more advantage by going deeper and maybe pick out stuff further down

I'm older and retired and on a limited budget; but I would like to pick up another coil, I just don't know which is the best

Most of my searches are in Parks
and occasionally old homes.
on rare occasions might take a vacation to a Beach, but we're only talking once every 5 years.

My gut feeling is the 15 inch, but i'm not a great decision guy.

thx
jack
Burley, idaho

I love semi eliptical coils.5X 10 would be for me. Long enough to get some coverage and depth, narrow enough to get in between bushes etc and light enough to actually swing longer....not as fatiguing as the big monsters. The tiny ones are slow going if you dont have specific place or have time constraints.

chub

I too recommend the 10x5 for what you want to do. The increased swing coverage vs. the 6-inch hockey puck, is essential to me.

The ML 15x12 is a "coverage coil", not that much deeper than the stock coil (perhaps an inch or less). If you are not regularly covering huge, wide open expanses like plowed fields or wide beaches, it is really a waste.

Similarly, I would stay away from the 15" round. It is nearly half a pound heavier than the 15x12 with perhaps another inch additional depth, but unless you have completely neutral, mild soil, will pick up a lot of ground noise and will be less sensitive to small targets.

I think the 11" stock coil and 10x5 elliptical are a killer Nox combo, IMO.

Last edited:

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to favor the 6" DD coil because of it's smaller footprint. It would be my coil of choice in a trashy park environment. It goes surprisingly deep too and is very sensitive to small objects. Even though the 10"x5" has more ground coverage, it has almost twice the footprint of the 6" DD coil which defeats the purpose of having the small coil (to not have the likelihood of being over 2 targets at once). After all, you already have a "coverage" coil with the 11" stock coil.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to favor the 6" DD coil because of it's smaller footprint. It would be my coil of choice in a trashy park environment. It goes surprisingly deep too and is very sensitive to small objects. Even though the 10"x5" has more ground coverage, it has almost twice the footprint of the 6" DD coil which defeats the purpose of having the small coil (to not have the likelihood of being over 2 targets at once). After all, you already have a "coverage" coil with the 11" stock coil.

I don't want to imply there are absolute right or wrong answers here because at the end of the day we are talking about design compromises and tradeoffs that ultimately come down to personal preference. So I understand where BH505Man is coming from.

That being said, just want to offer a counterpoint to some of the statements above - just my alternative perspective - again no right or wrong answers here.

Regarding footprint and "being over two targets at once". These DD coils which, unlike concentric coils, only have an active detection region along the "vertical" centerline of the coils from heel to toe (and much lesser sensitivity along the edges), you would have to have two targets line up exactly along the coil centerline. If you are not changing the orientation of your swing when you get a target hit, it is remotely possible that you won't separate those targets but if you simply turn 45 to 90 degrees upon the target hit, both targets will clearly emerge. The same is not true of concentric coils which have a circular detection field vice a "knife edge" detection field on DD's. In the case of the concentric, if you have multiple targets under the center "receive" coil circle, then simply rotating your swing angle will not separate the targets. Still, you do have a longer 10" centerline on the 10x5 vs. the 6" round centerline which is...6", so there is a higher likelihood you would run into the lineup issue, but as I said, it is quickly resolved by rotating slightly around the target which is sort of a force of habit for me any time I get a significant target hit.

Regarding the 11" as the "coverage coil" that's all well and good until you get into swing constrained situations like in corn stubble, tot lot playground equipment, fence lines, and scrub brush. In that case, there is an advantage to have the ability to swing the 5" coil side-to-side under those conditions and get that coil (or even the 6" coil) into places where it is impossible to swing the 11" side-to-side due to it's greater width. With that in mind, it is nice to have the ability to work targets in the swing constrained situations with the 10x5 and then still be able to walk normally in more open spaces while swinging to ensure swing coverage without having to tiptoe around like you would with the 6" coil.

Just a personal preference and why I think the 10x5 elliptical form factor provides for me the optimal trade-off of separation, constrained space swing clearance, with the convenience of a reasonable swing coverage vs. the 6" hockey puck style. Just my opinion. It's good to have choices between the two because everyone values the different things these two coil form factors bring to the table. I own the 6" coil BTW, but am really looking forward to the 10x5 for the reasons stated above.

HH

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will Coiltech offer an 8" round DD coil? The 10x5 is appealing too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, coils can be like gap wedges in golf... choose the ones that suit the course you’re playing (or detecting).

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too recommend the 10x5 for what you want to do. The increased swing coverage vs. the 6-inch hockey puck, is essential to me.

The ML 15x12 is a "coverage coil", not that much deeper than the stock coil (perhaps an inch or less). If you are not regularly covering huge, wide open expanses like plowed fields or wide beaches, it is really a waste.

Similarly, I would stay away from the 15" round. It is nearly half a pound heavier than the 15x12 with perhaps another inch additional depth, but unless you have completely neutral, mild soil, will pick up a lot of ground noise and will be less sensitive to small targets.

I think the 11" stock coil and 10x5 elliptical are a killer Nox combo, IMO.

Perfect reply mate, I got nothing to add now..lol.

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread