Need a New Mexico/Texas guide???

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Jon - You probably want to make a trip out to Hueco Tanks, out east of El Paso. It's a great place to hike and climb around, though they generally frown on collecting artifacts. There is some cool rock art in the area. You can also hike the Organ mountains and there's also a lot to do and see there. Out by Deming NM there's an old Ft Cummings that has some history in the area and is generally far enough out that no one cares what you do. Also, if you've never been to the area before, White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns are places you really should visit. If you want to head into Lincoln Co NM up in the mountains, Cloudcroft, Riudoso, etc, there are some good fossil hunting places but this time of the year it's going to be a bit cold. In 3 months there are certainly enough places to look and things to find to keep yourself entertained.

good luck.

Joe

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, the area has had humans around a long time. I found, that there wasnt many arrowheads in the area, but lots of pottery, etc. anywhere along the Rio Grande is good, and along thr organ mts.

The west side along the bluffs are also good places. (where I have found a lot of pottery shards

Wish I was there with ya.

olroy

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
I spent 2 months at Las Cruces in the Marines back in 1992 shooting down airplanes with missiles! Whitesands IS what it is, WHITE Sand! Awesome lightning storms there also! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread