Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any advice appreciated:

I have a friend who is just getting back into detecting after many years - his first detector is an antique Garrett....,
ANYWAY, he's looking for a good bang-for-the-buck detector, that is light weight and has a lot of features, function,
and target id-ability, and having several tones is even better...!
Good luck, huh?
Well, he was asking if I knew anything about the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro.
No, I don't, but I will, and with your help, dear members!
Tell me what sells this baby.
Does it discriminate real well, and can you learn it fast? ...or will it fight you?!
(meanwhile, I'll read the owner's manual online...)
Thanks!

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a couple weeks ago only had it out a few times since its trying to be winter again here. My first trip out I was discouraged by it but the second trip after watching some videos and some good advice from people here I had a blast. Its a good detector for the money I was most amazed by how deep it will go with my old machine I never felt a hand trowel wasnt enough now i think i need an excavator my opinion is if your experienced and willing to help him figure it out its a great buy..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is the best bang for the buck in my book. I had one, it comes with options that other more expensive detectors come with. You should scroll down in this forum (Bounty Hunter). Tthere are many posts concerning the Land Ranger Pro. You should also check out some videos. TheHunterGT has some good ones.

The detector is very easy to use, light weight, and I am a big fan of the DD coil.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Land Ranger Pro at $265 on Amazon and Wal-Mart is one of the best deals in all of detecting. Most vendors that sold it are either Out of Stock or selling it for like $350-400. In my opinion it easily beats the Ace 400 and is the best under $300 detector on the market.

It is being discontinued and re-branded as the Teknetics Liberator since some people (fools) frown at the Bounty Hunter name. It is probably one of the most under-rated detectors of all time and will finally get the love it deserves under the new branding. MSRP on the Liberator is $349 and with the codes floating around it is $299. So $30 more compared to what Amazon and Wal-Mart can do.....but cheaper than what most vendors can do the LRP for.

I always say support a vendor/dealer that is helpful before buying from a mouth breather in a blue vest that will not know a thing about it in most cases. If not a Amazon Prime member you are probably looking at close to $280-300 anyways....so at that point just use a code and get the Liberator at $299. Factory direct...5 year warranty...free shipping. It's a great deal either way - like I said - it is the best detector under $300 in my opinion.

nate77

Greenie
Mar 14, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Land Ranger Pro at $265 on Amazon and Wal-Mart is one of the best deals in all of detecting. Most vendors that sold it are either Out of Stock or selling it for like $350-400. In my opinion it easily beats the Ace 400 and is the best under $300 detector on the market.

It is being discontinued and re-branded as the Teknetics Liberator since some people (fools) frown at the Bounty Hunter name. It is probably one of the most under-rated detectors of all time and will finally get the love it deserves under the new branding. MSRP on the Liberator is $349 and with the codes floating around it is $299. So $30 more compared to what Amazon and Wal-Mart can do.....but cheaper than what most vendors can do the LRP for.

I always say support a vendor/dealer that is helpful before buying from a mouth breather in a blue vest that will not know a thing about it in most cases. If not a Amazon Prime member you are probably looking at close to $280-300 anyways....so at that point just use a code and get the Liberator at $299. Factory direct...5 year warranty...free shipping. It's a great deal either way - like I said - it is the best detector under $300 in my opinion.

Just Curious; are all Bounty Hunter's going away, or just the LRP?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Curious; are all Bounty Hunter's going away, or just the LRP?

Other Bounty Hunters are safe and sound. Many of them sell 10K units a month (Gold Digger and Junior).

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

John, are you sure the LRP is leaving the Bounty Hunter lineup?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any advice appreciated:

I have a friend who is just getting back into detecting after many years - his first detector is an antique Garrett....,
ANYWAY, he's looking for a good bang-for-the-buck detector, that is light weight and has a lot of features, function,
and target id-ability, and having several tones is even better...!
Good luck, huh?
Well, he was asking if I knew anything about the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro.
No, I don't, but I will, and with your help, dear members!
Tell me what sells this baby.
Does it discriminate real well, and can you learn it fast? ...or will it fight you?!
(meanwhile, I'll read the owner's manual online...)
Thanks!

It's as light as your Tesoro. It's also as fast in recovery as your Tesoro. It has three preset modes so you can just turn on and go. Pretty easy. Yet it has 3 modes of customizing depending on how you want to hunt with tones. Finding auto ground balance on a detector under $300 isn't easy. And you can manually ground balance it too. For me it's perfect for coins and jewelry. Someone else may have to chime in for artifacts. I have had about a dozen detectors over the last 15 years. The longest ones I've kept were the FisherF5 and now my LRP. I've looked at different brands and more costly detectors from time to time. But never found any that I would give up my LRP for. Watch (or have your friend watch) HunterGT's youtube video on the LRP. He does a great job showing off the features. The only detector that may compete is the Fisher F44. But you'll pay more and lose the DD coil.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, are you sure the LRP is leaving the Bounty Hunter lineup?

No. However, it is already shown as discontinued on a dealer/vendor site and 2 others have stopped carrying it as well. So it is just a strong assumption - combined with some rumblings of the future roadmap for BH.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. However, it is already shown as discontinued on a dealer/vendor site and 2 others have stopped carrying it as well. So it is just a strong assumption - combined with some rumblings of the future roadmap for BH.

BHs do not use MAP pricing. And dealers that rely on MAP pricing usually let the chain stores/outlets compete with their large bulk purchases and minimal profit margins.

Remember, the Teks Alpha and Delta first came out with plug in connections then changed to screw on to help distinguish between the BH and Tek lines. The Platinum had a change from the Gamma with no manual ground balance or soil readings.

I'm surprised FTP is releasing the Liberator with plug in coils. Whether or not they do discontinue the LRP, the Liberator should have a screw on connector to distinguish between BH and Tek coils. That would be the difference needed for dealers to have an edge over the LRP and chain stores.

It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out. But I know I wouldn't drop the LRP for a Liberator unless there was a distinct difference to justify the extra cost.

For FTP, discontinuing the LRP is throwing the baby out with the bath water, IMO.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BHs do not use MAP pricing. And dealers that rely on MAP pricing usually let the chain stores/outlets compete with their large bulk purchases and minimal profit margins.

Remember, the Teks Alpha and Delta first came out with plug in connections then changed to screw on to help distinguish between the BH and Tek lines. The Platinum had a change from the Gamma with no manual ground balance or soil readings.

I'm surprised FTP is releasing the Liberator with plug in coils. Whether or not they do discontinue the LRP, the Liberator should have a screw on connector to distinguish between BH and Tek coils. That would be the difference needed for dealers to have an edge over the LRP and chain stores.

It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out. But I know I wouldn't drop the LRP for a Liberator unless there was a distinct difference to justify the extra cost.

For FTP, discontinuing the LRP is throwing the baby out with the bath water, IMO.

With this new Tek Direct thing...all Teknetics units will be shipped straight from the factory. Their take is that it makes no sense in shipping a detector from the factory in Texas...to a dealer in New York....only to have a buyer in Texas order from that vendor/dealer New York....and then ship it back to Texas.

So they are becoming their own Amazon so to speak. I expect Fisher Direct to follow if this works for them (First Texas)...and I see no reason it won't. I don't think they will do a Bounty Hunter Direct and will continue to big box store those...but could be totally wrong.

I think First Texas is wise enough to see that the "no MAP" on the LRP is an issue to the Liberator launch...so will dump it. At $299 with a code...it is $30 more than a LRP on Amazon...but $100 less than the $400 Kellyco is charging.

It was only recently that the vendors I saw showed the LRP as discontinued and/or completely stopped carrying it. So thus my speculation on it. Seems to much of a coincidence with the Liberator release pending any day now.

They tell me lots of cool stuff I wish I could share...but on the flip side they don't share a peep when it comes to the business side of it. Hence...just speculation on my part. :dontknow:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This could make the chain stores, which sell out of LRPs, mad. Guess it's a wait and see.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After more thought...I do think they will continue with the BH line at big box stores. Just not Fisher or Tek....that will go this direct route.

I still think the LRP will be discontinued however. As you say...wait and see. I will reiterate I am just speculating here.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MANY thanks!
Your words of wisdom will be passed down, for sure!
Teknetics is a good one - a close relative of Fisher Labs, I hear....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MANY thanks!
Your words of wisdom will be passed down, for sure!
Teknetics is a good one - a close relative of Fisher Labs, I hear....

You heard correctly. Bounty Hunter - Fisher - Teknetics are all under the umbrella of First Texas Products. All 3 are produced in the same factory and designed by the same engineers. :)

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEWS:...my friend got the Teknetics T2....a super good choice

Thanks Everyone For Posting A Reply, and good discussions too,
since I'm now looking for a machine, too, and you helped a LOT...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread