Need advice for hunting new permission...

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I was recently giving permission to hunt a very old (1750s) property in my neck of the woods. The property consists of the original home, another cottage from the 1850s, and a barn from the 1850s. I do some work on the property a few times per month as a volunteer and was given permission to poke around. I am waiting for delivery of my Equinox 600 which should be coming in the next few days. Plenty of ground to cover, but I am not sure where to start. While I was working there today one of the other volunteers mentioned that he thinks its only a matter of time before some coins or something else turn up. The property has been occupied since it was originally constructed hence his thoughts on finding something. I only found a few bits of old blue and white pottery in one of the flowerbeds but that is it, no other signs of relics anywhere. There are some stone walls around the property, but not much. To everyone's knowledge no one has metal detected this site. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would concentrate around the still standing structures, anywhere you suspect a structure may have been and where the most surface relics are turning up. After that I would check near the water sources.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the tip! There's an old well on the property would that be a good spot as well?

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time, you may dig a lot of garbage. Digging garbage is just clearing the way for the good stuff! If you’ve never detected before, pay attention to how your detector reacts to different metals. I always just clear my mind before dirt fishing.. no expectations, just a relaxing time recovering things that have been lost. Good luck hunting!
Matt

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time, you may dig a lot of garbage. Digging garbage is just clearing the way for the good stuff! If you’ve never detected before, pay attention to how your detector reacts to different metals. I always just clear my mind before dirt fishing.. no expectations, just a relaxing time recovering things that have been lost. Good luck hunting!
Matt

Thank you Hunter! My plan is going to be to do some test runs in my yard until I am comfortable with my machine. I'd hate to waste the opportunity like this, but I want to make sure I do things correctly. My Nox 600 will be here next week.

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the tip! There's an old well on the property would that be a good spot as well?

Yes...a well would be a good place. Start at the well when you work your way to that part of the hunt and work out from that giving special attention to paths where the inhabitants would be going to and from the well. Good luck!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Hunter! My plan is going to be to do some test runs in my yard until I am comfortable with my machine. I'd hate to waste the opportunity like this, but I want to make sure I do things correctly. My Nox 600 will be here next week.

That is a wise plan. Practicing in your yard will not only make you familiar with the machine, but also with digging good U-shaped flap plugs (water them if it is hot and dry) and replacing them so they will not get sucked up by a mower. Good luck and have fun!

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a buddy to come help you get over all that property? 8-)

LOL I am lucky I even got the permission. I've been volunteering 3-4 hours a week doing maintenance on the grounds.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concentrate on high traffic areas. Any place you can think of where people might have gathered or worked or relaxed. Like around any large trees or stumps. Any path between the house and the out buildings. Underneath the old clothesline. Near the wood pile. Look for 4x4ft square depressions in the ground indicating the outhouse locations. Wood piles were often between the house and the outhouse.

As mentioned there will be a lot of trash and iron. Your Nox will love big iron - trust me, I know from experience. Dig it anyway. It may unmask better targets. Since it's an historic property, big iron will help tell some stories.

Example - We hunted an old property in WV that had been "cherry picked" in the past. Started digging big iron and unearthed a Civil War era Sharps carbine lock plate.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on settings for my Equinox 600 for this site? I am thinking Park 1. I'll probably dig everything. Thoughts?

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concentrate on high traffic areas. Any place you can think of where people might have gathered or worked or relaxed. Like around any large trees or stumps. Any path between the house and the out buildings. Underneath the old clothesline. Near the wood pile. Look for 4x4ft square depressions in the ground indicating the outhouse locations. Wood piles were often between the house and the outhouse.

As mentioned there will be a lot of trash and iron. Your Nox will love big iron - trust me, I know from experience. Dig it anyway. It may unmask better targets. Since it's an historic property, big iron will help tell some stories.

Example - We hunted an old property in WV that had been "cherry picked" in the past. Started digging big iron and unearthed a Civil War era Sharps carbine lock plate.

Which setting do you recommend I use?

TIE543

Greenie
Feb 13, 2021
Muhlenberg County, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which setting do you recommend I use?

I would probably try multiple modes as you go through the property just to see if one performs better than the other, but start out on park 1 or 2. Keep your sensitivity as high as you can stand it without it being super chattery (I usually go 21-22 but your mileage may vary).

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye out for some old bottles they are nice treasures maybe look for that old privy to dig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread