Need Advice; Minelab Equinox 600

ZhakirSetie

May 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! Looking to finally upgrade my Dad’s metal detector (he’s had a White’s one since I was about 7... I’m 32 now). I’m tired of having to carry extra battery packs around when we metal detect together.

I looked around and saw the Minelab Equinox 600. It’s a little more than my brother and I wanted to spend for Father’s Day, but we’re not opposed if it’s worth it!

We metal detect exclusively on our family property which is woods/mountains and fields. No beach or water detecting if that makes a difference. The land has been in our family since the 1700s, so we’re mainly digging up the site of an old home. We’ve been detecting it for 25 years and it’s crazy we’re still finding new things every time!

We really want a detector that’s good and user friendly and maybe can help us not dig up 100s of old nails haha (wishful thinking I’m sure) My Dad in 25 years never really learned all the meanings of the numbers on his White’s one or even the purpose of different settings. So, I’m hoping for a good detector that would be easy to learn the different settings and such.

Would y’all recommend the Minelab Equinox 600 for what we do?

Thanks in advance. Metal detecting is our big father/daughter bonding thing and I want to make sure I get him one we can use and enjoy for another 25 years together.showbox speed test

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at the Vanquish 540. A little less intimidating and much more intuitive.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an old guy and I bought an AT Pro. I'd say it's fairly user friendly. Then I bought a Nox 800. Not user friendly, at least for an old guy that's not a techie. I know the 800 is a great machine, but I'm sure having a long learning curve using it. Just my 2-cents. Gary

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Equinox 600 would be great for him. It's not hard to learn right out of the box. Set it to Park 1, noise cancel and go.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Or perhaps consider an older "Beep & Dig" kinda machine. My favorite detector is a Tesoro Tejon - while I have a CTX and and an EQ800 sitting on the shelves gathering dust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread