Need advice on type of metal detector

Elylou

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

Here's my situation. I never used a gold detector before, but I would like to buy one and I need advice on which one to buy. However, me and my hubby do have experience in panning for gold so we know our terrain. Here's what I need/would like :

- usable in wet conditions (jungle) if not waterproof, needs to be water resistant.
- need good iron discrimination
- need the deepest metal detecting possible (what's the deepest they can go anyway?)
- need for gold detecting natural gold (24k) (anything between 0,1g to 1kg) so i need good gold precision.
- no limit on budget
- good for beginner

What do you recommend?
I live in a remote area and I saw someone was selling a metal detector. It is a mx300 stryke lite. What do you think of that detector and do you think it suits my needs?

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Minelab detector, but don't have one from their Gold line.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/

Click on "Metal Detectors" and click on "Strike Gold".

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..:hello:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the Minelab Equinox 800 and the new GPX6000 that's just come out, to see which meets your needs the best. The GPZ is the king of depth, but, it's a lot harder to learn and use. It may not meet some of your other requirements as well as the first two I mentioned either. If you have an unlimited budget, you may want to get more than one detector. Each model has their strong points and weak points.

OP
OP
E

Elylou

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! When you say it is the king of depth what depth are we talking about?

I would like to start we just one detector ��

OP
OP
E

Elylou

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, i'm sorry, i don't know much about them. What criterias are incompatible? And what depth do they generally go?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Minelab SDC 2300 gold detector. You can backpack it in.
It folds up small.
You can take the whole machine under water.
Easy to use.
$3299.00

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, i'm sorry, i don't know much about them. What criterias are incompatible? And what depth do they generally go?

Depth of detection depends on the size of the target, the makeup of the metal, and the mineralization of the ground. Some detectors handle certain situations better than others. Your best bet is to find out what other nugget hunters are using in your area and then choose which machine is optimal for use there depending on their features. The current consensus is that the GPZ7000 gets the best depth for all target sizes in most ground conditions. You get into a real salty area and there are others that will do better (IE Equinox, GPX6000, even the Garrett ATX under in some circumstances). In areas where the ground mineralization changes drastically and/or constantly, a machines with both automatic ground balancing and manual ground balancing is preferable to one with only one or the other. Knowing the ground conditions, target sizes/makeup, terrain features for coil size, etc, are key to choosing a detector, as not all prospecting areas are the same.

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question do any of the above mentioned detectors ..can they tell a 1 oz gold bar from a 1 lb steel object am new to treasure hunting my dad told me P.I. detector the rest are worthless i don't understand ..There lots of black sand , salt , where am at .. any info would be helpful thank you

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on depth of target, degree of rust on the steel, and ground mineralization, yes, most VLF discriminating detectors can tell ferrous from non-ferrous. Deep rusty steel or iron can give you a false signal, but, with practice and experience, you can usually tell the difference. Most PI machines have trouble with any reliable kind of discrimination. You get a steel bar next to a gold bar and I don't think any detector will be able to tell one from the other with any degree of reliability. That will be one confusing signal as one signal wants to mask the other. some machines will just blend the signal together. Some might lock onto the strongest signal and mask the other. I'm afraid I've never found a 1 oz gold bar next to a 1 lb steel object, so, this is just a somewhat educated guess. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread