Need based finds are great too....

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
I'd been needing a new couch since I deep sixed my old one back on May 15th. For several weeks I was haunting thrift stores and garage sales for a leather or faux leather replacement. I scoped one out on yardsalesearch.com which was part of an estate sale that started last Thursday. Due to work I couldn't make it there until it was almost over on Saturday. By that time the guy running the estate sale was in the mood to wheel & deal so he quoted me a price of $25. Turns out he and his partner were willing to haul it to my place 11 miles away for an additional $25. Needless to say this saved me a sh*t ton of trouble! Now I have a nice real leather couch in great shape.
The dog was not part of the bargain....
Yeah, it's great to find something cheap that you can flip for a big premium on Ebay, but finding something you need at a steal can be even better.
HH
-spyguy

Attachments

• couch.jpg
    couch.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 122

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the "leather" furniture these days is what they call "bonded leather" which is a paper-thin layer of leather glued to some sort of base material. Bonded leather looks and feels pretty good but it doesn't last worth a damn. I learned this the hard way a few years ago when we spent $1500 on a three piece living room set. The leather starting coming apart less than two years later. I'll never buy that crap again. I hope for your sake, spyguy, that your sofa is solid leather but for what you paid, it's a great deal even if it is bonded leather.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my sofa from a thrift store for $200. It is wool, a sectional from 1972. Orange in color, with reclining ends. My daughter had the flu and puked all over it, nothing like rotten milk! I paid $400 to have it professionally steam cleaned. And we have had it for seven years now. Not a spot of wear on that couch whatsoever. So many people comment how much they like it, or they want to know if I'm going to sell it. But there's no way... It fit so good into the area I needed it for, I think to replace it with a new one would probably be like $3000 or $4000 new and it would not last as long for sure. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466611957.311937.jpg

Last edited:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
be careful with mr. puppers nails on your new leather. Leather scratches pretty easily. I got a nice leather sofa from a friend a couple years ago, and my cat decided it liked to puncture the armrest with her claws. I didn't notice it until it was too late, and she managed to pull some stuffing out of the tiny claw holes which looks horrible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions