Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a couple of months I am going on a little vacation to Georgia. I have no time limit and can drive along the gulf coast from Gulfport to the Tallahassee area. Can anyone give me a few good beaches to visit along the way? I'm in Texas and have never detected on beaches. Do all hotels allow detecting? How does it all work? Any info is appreciated.

Upvote 1

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a couple of months I am going on a little vacation to Georgia. I have no time limit and can drive along the gulf coast from Gulfport to the Tallahassee area. Can anyone give me a few good beaches to visit along the way? I'm in Texas and have never detected on beaches. Do all hotels allow detecting? How does it all work? Any info is appreciated.

Do you have a detector that will work in salt contact?

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The saltwater question is the best question of all. You will be stuck in the dry sand looking for targets if your detector isn't saltwater compatible. I started with the Whites Prism 4 detector and when I approached the saltwater it went nuts. Now I have the right equipment. Take that into consideration before you make the trip. Good luck and HH.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dry towel line can be very, very productive. Find the ring taken off and then lost is a blast, as is finding literally piles of quarters and change. You can find very good stuff with about any detector made. It just depends on what you want to do. Working dry sand, my favorite, gives me more coverage in a hour than working knee deep in water with fish hooks et. al. in it. I leave the water to others. Sometimes I do better, sometimes the guys in the water do better.

CREATURE850

Greenie
Oct 26, 2021
Tallahassee
Just stay off private property.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Starting in Pensacola, take 98 east and hit every beach along the way to the panhandles of Florida and buy yourself a [fill-in-the-blank] with all the finds along the way. Now that I said it...I think that sounds irresistible!
fyi State parks have their own rules and often depend on who you talk too or who tells ya to get off the beach or you're not allowed to hunt the water.
Personally, it not equipped with a saltwater detector, I'd buy an Equinox 600 for the trip. And it will pay for itself.
I have the 800 (and Excal and CTX 3030).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions