Need help for a book I am writing!

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
New York - suburbs of NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all -

I have a side plot for a book I'm working on and I was hoping everyone could help me with some details. The story is in present day Oklahoma. A small treasure is found hidden in a cave (hole in ground) in a wooded ridge on someone's property. I'm trying to figure out where the gold, silver, or old money came from in order to let the property owner retain a percentage of the find or a reward for finding it. Treasure would date back to the mid to late 1800's. Not sure if it came from a bank and there is a pro-rated reward or and insurance pay-out. It could also be government money.... or any other ideas you can give me. Again - the property owners will only receive a fraction of the find (say $100,000 in today's rate) while the rest will be turned over to the government, bank, or insurance company governing whoever it was stolen from many years ago.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What is the composition of the treasure? Is any of it dated (as on a coin?)? Why would it have to be turned over to the government or a bank? Is the premise of your story the treasure was, or wasn't stolen? Perhaps it wasn't stolen; then it could have been buried there for many reasons. One possibility it was a successful '49-er' who returned home and chose to bury his fortune. The possibilities are endless regarding your request. What is the 'end game' for your story? Perhaps you could work 'backwards' to come up with a good scenario for this event of finding the treasure.
Don.......

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - thanks for asking those questions. Basically this is a sub-plot to the rest of the book. She owns 150 acres, most of it is a ranch but the property extends up into the ridge. Unbeknownst to her, the owner of the neighboring ranch found an ancestor's journal telling of the treasure (whatever it is) that is buried on her land which was originally part of his family's ranch but was sold many generations back. The exact location is vague but it's definitely on her land. He has been trying to get her (and her deceased husband) to sell him the ranch so he can claim the treasure when he finds it. Does it work as finders/keepers if she stumbles across it and it's on her land or would there be a situation where she would have to turn it over to someone (government or bank or whoever). I don't want her to be filthy rich with the find which is why I want her to only get a percentage of it. I haven't figured out if it's stolen yet or not. Or maybe it's a historic treasure that she can sell to a museum or something. This isn't the main plot of the story so I have a lot of leeway with whatever ideas anyone can give me.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lets see: The land was once owned by the neighbor who now wants to buy it back since he recently found a journal that suggests a treasure is on the land now owned by the lady. Do I have that much correct? In the absence of any further info, the treasure is hers.

Now, if you want her to end up with just a percentage, several scenarios can be created; and you have already mentioned a couple. She could also lease the land to this guy with the right only to search for the treasure and keep it (after filling in the holes, of course).OR, she could donate, versus sell the treasure and, in return, receive a 'reward' from the donee. No doubt many other scenarios can be created; pick one and go with it.
Good luck,
Don......
PS: Ex-New Rochelle, myself.

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don! (BTW - Rockland County and I've been to NR quite a few times!)

Yes, you have the scenario right. The land she owns was bought many generations ago from his ancestors when they sold off a few parcels in the county/town. Any ideas on what a historical treasure it might be that a museum might be interested in? Or maybe it was from a train/bank robbery from back then (Like Wells Fargo) where they would claim most of it (it can be proven its from them somehow) and she gets a reward for the find?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the treasure was buried in the late 1890s, specify whether or not it was located in Oklahoma Territory or Indian Territory (later they were combined to form the state in 1907.) If the treasure were found in "Indian Territory" you could create a story around how the Indians obtained the treasure. If you chat about Wells Fargo, there were probably WF stables in Ardmore, Norman and other locals.
Don......

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ideas! Thanks... the town is fictional and about 1 1/2 hours away from Oklahoma City and not in any specified direction.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hi - thanks for asking those questions. Basically this is a sub-plot to the rest of the book. She owns 150 acres, most of it is a ranch but the property extends up into the ridge. Unbeknownst to her, the owner of the neighboring ranch found an ancestor's journal telling of the treasure (whatever it is) that is buried on her land which was originally part of his family's ranch but was sold many generations back. The exact location is vague but it's definitely on her land. He has been trying to get her (and her deceased husband) to sell him the ranch so he can claim the treasure when he finds it. Does it work as finders/keepers if she stumbles across it and it's on her land or would there be a situation where she would have to turn it over to someone (government or bank or whoever). I don't want her to be filthy rich with the find which is why I want her to only get a percentage of it. I haven't figured out if it's stolen yet or not. Or maybe it's a historic treasure that she can sell to a museum or something. This isn't the main plot of the story so I have a lot of leeway with whatever ideas anyone can give me.

If he knows there is treasure on the property he wants to buy, he is keeping that information to himself. If he finds it, it wouldn't make sense that he would tell any one about it. He is working in secret. Otherwise why not let the neighbor know about it and share it with all concerned? Regardless its fiction. Its what ever you want it to be.

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he knows there is treasure on the property he wants to buy, he is keeping that information to himself. If he finds it, it wouldn't make sense that he would tell any one about it. He is working in secret. Otherwise why not let the neighbor know about it and share it with all concerned? Regardless its fiction. Its what ever you want it to be.

Because he's greedy! I was just looking for help deciding what the 'treasure' would be and wondering if there were any laws that may be governing who it belongs to beyond the owner of the property. Like when it comes to shipwreck salvage with treasure that belongs to the US, UK or other countries, I believe it gets returned to the proper country and the salvage company get a large finders fee. (Although I could be wrong.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread