NEED HELP!! Found real treasure and I need help cleaning and preserving it.

nuggetmann

Sep 16, 2018
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My buddy and I found three civil war rifles that are in amazing condition. I need to know how to clean and preserve them properly or do I need to call someone who would want to look closer at these. Help me out.
civil war rifle.jpg

There will be videos coming out on these finds next week on my youtube channel also. I'll keep you guys informed but any help on these finds would be most appreciated.

Thanks everybody.
My channel.

Attachments

• 69873611_2201727703289525_570146196895563776_n.jpg
    69873611_2201727703289525_570146196895563776_n.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 34

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely DO NOT let them dry out, the wood will twist and come apart if you do.

Look into getting some of this stuff to treat the wood and leave all the metal parts in place until it's treated because they will help keep it straight. After the wood is done clean the metal with evapo rust and a soft brass wire brush, soak it in pneumatic tool oil for a few days and wipe it clean with a soft cloth. use toilet ring wax to coat the wood and metal and melt the wax with a hot air gun so it will soak into all the little crevices

https://www.preservation-solutions.com/waterlogged-wood-conservation/

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look closely at the lock plates for markings, the two closest in the pic look to be a '58 Enfield (the one with 2 barrel bands) and a '53 Enfield, which makes it very likely they are Confederate guns, I can't tell about the third one from the pic.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some excellent finds. If it were me, I would call someone to conserve them.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
look closely at the lock plates for markings, the two closest in the pic look to be a '58 Enfield (the one with 2 barrel bands) and a '53 Enfield, which makes it very likely they are Confederate guns, I can't tell about the third one from the pic.

Nola Ken beat me to it. Agree completely. Gorgeous, congrats, and WOW.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow looks like mother nature did a great job preserving those! Hopefully you can get those cleaned up real nice. I know they can work miracles with stuff like that. Please post pics when they are done being cleaned up and conserved!!!

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Subbed on youtube, IDK how the algorithms haven't suggested your channel before, it's pretty much everything I watch. Keep us updated on the restoration process!

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! if you can find that just searching by hand, imagine what you can find with a detector?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds from Georgia. You do need to keep them in distilled water as that rust will quickly accelerate in the air. I would suggest tiny burst of electrolysis. and watch them closely for hot spots or thin areas that work to fast. When done you will need to stabilize that wood. I have seen it done with 1/2 paint thiner and 1/2 minwax poly in a satin. Go slow and check out youtube for beau omulet (sp)or known as aqua chigger he has a link on preservation.
I m voting banner. Did you magnet fish these or metal detect them?

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great find! I would imagine those rifles were stolen and thrown into the water judging by their appearance. More pics would be nice to identify them but they do appear to be muzzle-loaders judging by the ramrod. A friend found a 50 cal. Sharps rifle in the Mississippi River back in 1970 and it was in much worse shape than these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread