Need help from AT Pro crew

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if I am having a problem with my Pro. In the Pro Zero mode and Iron discrimination up to 40 it seems the detector rings off on any item even if it is under 40. It is a constant beeping. I have it set up with wireless tdk headsets and I thought that might be the problem, but I hooked up the Garrett headphones today and it was the same way. The only way to stop beeping is to set sensitivity to about 4 bars out of 8. Is this normal? Does setting sensitivity this low affect depth of the Pro? I do ground balance often as I thought that might be the problem. Thanks

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should not be ringing in iron while it's set at 40 unless you are hunting with iron audio on. I run mine with Max sensitivity 95% of the time and it's not chatty at all. Find a spot that's clear of iron and EMI just to test it. It should be totally quiet.

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for replies. I do not have the iron audio on. I really only use that when I have a question with a hit and I shut it off right away.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not normal. Check batteries put new ones in. Check all plugs and sockets for debris, corrosion, bent pins, dirt etc. The at series plugs are a pain in the arse make sure plugs are fully pushed in this is very important. Keep your eye on the orings make sure they dont peel out of the grooves. Make sure the ferrules are good and tight. I use needle nose pliers just to make sure the ferrules are fully tight. Dont overtighten, just enough to snug up fully. Lube up the orings with a bit of silicone this helps. Go outdoors turn machine on and do a factory reset. If it still acts up after all this its a hospital case either bad coil or brain box. Try a different coil if you can borrow one somehow.

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gleaner, will do.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad coil to me. Give Garrett a call.

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried troubleshooting and still no luck. I talked to Garrett and they are sending a new coil. Hopefully that is my problem. Great Company to work with. I will update when coil arrives.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds more like an emi issue to me. Have you tried the detector in more than one area? Free of overhead power lines, wi fi, cell phones that sort of thing?

Since your machine settles down with the sens down a bit, that sounds like the culprit. Depending on the area, sometimes you just can't run em with the sens turned up.

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the pro in a number of area's that have no electrical interference. I still have to lower the sensitivity 3 or 4 notches not to hear the constant chatter. I go cell phone less thinking that might be the problem. I will have better idea when new coil arrives.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 2 bad ones......unplug the coil and turn it on - if it stops ringing like crazy it's the coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two AT Pros that acted that way. Garrett wouldn't say what they tried to fix. Third one works as it should. Fella gave good advice. You might have gotten one of the early production ones that were unstable. There is hope, send it back to Garrett since you did everything Fella suggested. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Tedyoh is prob right I had a bad factory coil that was ringing like crazy everytime I went in the water with it. I put the 5/8 coil on and hadn't had a prob since. Try a factory reset as well.

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a factory reset and I have tried every frequency hoping one was better than the other. Hopefully it is just the coil (as Garrett is sending a new one out). If it continues after that I have to send the unit back. Waited so long to get the Pro, and the ground to thaw I hate to give it back. I do appreciate all your help.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did a factory reset and I have tried every frequency hoping one was better than the other. Hopefully it is just the coil (as Garrett is sending a new one out). If it continues after that I have to send the unit back. Waited so long to get the Pro, and the ground to thaw I hate to give it back. I do appreciate all your help.

Keep us posted as to what happens with the new coil. Good luck!

OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put new coil on and it sure did help. Its nice not to hear the constant chatter. Thanks for all your help. Now i finally get to use the new machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions