Need help from the Brits’

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a portion of a sterling chain last Sunday , didn’t think much of it as I find scrap silver jewelry often. Anyway, I had to go to Minnesota for business this week so I dint have time to really look at this chain, I could tell it was sterling by its weight and clean look but today I took a closer look with a loop and noticed it had Birmingham lions on every link. My question is when did the stop this practice and what could the date range be? This field has turned up British and American coins dating back into the 1700’s.
thanks in advance!!
Bob ( J.Dirt)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 14
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Another angle, hard to get my iPad to focus😅

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lion is the Sterling symbol, not the Birmingham which is the Anchor Assay Mark. They never stopped doing this mark.
So my date range is pretty big I guess😀

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe

A said, the lion is the general sterling mark and not specific to Birmingham.

Under our hallmarking regulations, something comprised of multiple parts which are all to the same standard of silver is regarded as a single ‘article’ if the components are essentially ‘inseparable’… as would be the case for soldered links on a chain.

The article itself then needs to carry the compulsory marks for fineness, assay office, date letter, sponsor (usually the maker, but not always), and duty mark (as the monarch’s head, but only between 1784 and 1890). However, these marks do not all need to present on each individual inseparable part nor together on one part… they can be spread across several parts, particularly if the available readily visible surfaces are small. The application of a sterling mark on each and every link was common practice in the 1800s as a matter of prestige and customer reassurance rather than a legal requirement and continued well in to the 1920s at least, before gradually falling out of favour.

On your chain, I believe I can see a sponsor mark on one of the links (ringed in red, below):

Sponsor.jpg

It’s not very clear, but might be ‘W.B’ with a stop between the letters, which could be for William Bateman of London and from between 1814-1839. If that is his mark then there should also be duty mark on one of the links (as the head of George III, George IV, William IV or Victoria) as well as a date letter. However, to me, the chain style looks to be later Victorian or first half of the 1900s and I’m guessing it’s a watch chain(?). if it’s post 1890, there will be no duty mark (and it’s not then from Bateman).

One other thing to note is that in the 1800s and through to the first part of the 1900s a number of manufacturers operated exclusively as ‘chain makers’ but didn’t produce anything else. The chains were then assembled into finished articles by jewellers who might have different sources for their components or be self-making them. So, something like a watch chain might have one set of marks on the chain itself and other marks on the swivel (dog-clip) and/or the T-bar. This one, for example was said by the seller to be Birmingham sterling hallmarked for 1899 (Anchor and date letter ‘Z’) with a sponsor mark of ‘HP’ on the swivel and T-bar. The smaller surfaces of the chain itself only carry the sterling mark on each link but with one of the links obviously carrying the mark for a different maker/sponsor:

Watch Chain 1.jpg Watch Chain 2.jpg

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a portion of a sterling chain last Sunday , didn’t think much of it as I find scrap silver jewelry often. Anyway, I had to go to Minnesota for business this week so I dint have time to really look at this chain, I could tell it was sterling by its weight and clean look but today I took a closer look with a loop and noticed it had Birmingham lions on every link. My question is when did the stop this practice and what could the date range be? This field has turned up British and American coins dating back into the 1700’s.
thanks in advance!!
Bob ( J.Dirt)
Nice recovery Joe -Dirt!

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Joe

A said, the lion is the general sterling mark and not specific to Birmingham.

Under our hallmarking regulations, something comprised of multiple parts which are all to the same standard of silver is regarded as a single ‘article’ if the components are essentially ‘inseparable’… as would be the case for soldered links on a chain.

The article itself then needs to carry the compulsory marks for fineness, assay office, date letter, sponsor (usually the maker, but not always), and duty mark (as the monarch’s head, but only between 1784 and 1890). However, these marks do not all need to present on each individual inseparable part nor together on one part… they can be spread across several parts, particularly if the available readily visible surfaces are small. The application of a sterling mark on each and every link was common practice in the 1800s as a matter of prestige and customer reassurance rather than a legal requirement and continued well in to the 1920s at least, before gradually falling out of favour.

On your chain, I believe I can see a sponsor mark on one of the links (ringed in red, below):

View attachment 2052948

It’s not very clear, but might be ‘W.B’ with a stop between the letters, which could be for William Bateman of London and from between 1814-1839. If that is his mark then there should also be duty mark on one of the links (as the head of George III, George IV, William IV or Victoria) as well as a date letter. However, to me, the chain style looks to be later Victorian or first half of the 1900s and I’m guessing it’s a watch chain(?). if it’s post 1890, there will be no duty mark (and it’s not then from Bateman).

One other thing to note is that in the 1800s and through to the first part of the 1900s a number of manufacturers operated exclusively as ‘chain makers’ but didn’t produce anything else. The chains were then assembled into finished articles by jewellers who might have different sources for their components or be self-making them. So, something like a watch chain might have one set of marks on the chain itself and other marks on the swivel (dog-clip) and/or the T-bar. This one, for example was said by the seller to be Birmingham sterling hallmarked for 1899 (Anchor and date letter ‘Z’) with a sponsor mark of ‘HP’ on the swivel and T-bar. The smaller surfaces of the chain itself only carry the sterling mark on each link but with one of the links obviously carrying the mark for a different maker/sponsor:

View attachment 2052958 View attachment 2052960
Thank you, I might got back and look for the rest of it. I do think it’s a watch chain as it does taper. I be sure to post any pthing I find. Thanks again!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks in advance!!
Bob ( J.Dirt)
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions