Need help identifying bowls

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hi, I already posted this in the Native American artifact section, but I thought I'd look for some help here, too. Here's what I posted:
My treasure hunting buddy and I were searching an area of Central Florida today and came up with 3 very interesting bowls. No, they weren't metal - but a molded clay. She found 1 and I found the other two. They were discovered in soft sand, 3 to 6 inches deep - below an ancient oak; in an area that may have once been the shoreline for a large lake.
Are they Native American in origin?
The 3 are virtually the same; each has a small lip from which a substance was clearly poured: the lip area shows signs of darkening.
There are no discernable markings/etchings.
The bowls are small: about 2.5" at the widest part and only 1.5" tall.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Bowl from above.JPG
    Bowl from above.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Bowl from above 2.JPG
    Bowl from above 2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Bowl Side.JPG
    Bowl Side.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Bowl bottom.JPG
    Bowl bottom.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 86

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Can you see any fibers mixed into the clay? or is it sandy?
The indians used ground shell, palmeto fibers, sand or sponge skeletons to temper pottery so whats in it could
help id it.

Upvote 0

mullnax

Apr 10, 2012
El Paso
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are Native American grinding pots. I have found a few by the shoreline of some older lakes in Florida in the same area central. East of Gainesville. Near Lake Locklosa on the east side. If you ever go out there take a knife and a shovel be careful and probe around by the lake. you will find a lot and you will probably still see my holes that i dug out there. Great place to find Old Native American artifcats. Best in Florida.

Upvote 0

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
...and you will probably still see my holes that i dug out there. :thumb_down:

FOR SHAME!!! Should never, never, never leave holes for the next person to see. Never, ever! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread