need help identifying indian artifacts origin

SkySaint

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This artifact was found outside of Belleville, IL in 1934 while my great grandfather was tilling a garden with a push cultivator outside of his house. Along with the rock were arrow tips and a broken spear with these items. After contacting the Cahokia Museum about these items they replied back saying that they do not believe it is neither Cahokia nor Mississippian in origin. I really have no idea where to go for more information after the museum told me that it was not of their decent. Can anyone help me figure out its origin so I may find the proper place to donate it?

100_1399.JPG
100_1398.JPG
100_1397.JPG
100_1396.JPG

Upvote 3

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net
I have no idea.. what do you think the carving is above the fish?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
i didnt even pay attention to that....looks like a dinosour. Back in the day there were certain times in america where hoaxing artifacts happened. Usually taking place because of differing sides of misc. debates etc in archaeology. I wonder if your pc is one of those. The fish is carved pretty good :icon_scratch:. But not to say its not a cool pc. even if it does have some ulterior motives behind its manufacture.

OP
OP
S

SkySaint

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a lizard or a panther of some sorts.....who knows....that's why I posted it. The Cahokia museum added that this could be a net stone due to the wearing on the lizard thing but it still doesn't help me. I've been trying to contact an archaeologist that specializes in Illinois Indians but I have not heard back from him as of yet.

Last edited:

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd call that pc "The Smiling Fish"

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
usually when a lizard is depicted in ancient art its depicted with its legs and arms to its side, that is clearly a camel dinosour, i never heard of them until now, but im now sure they once existed.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That fish has some knarly teeth Im seeing on top part mastodon part fox...more in likely not legit just my 2 cents hope it turns out legit for you...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SkySaint

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got it from my grandmother a week or so ago; I remember seeing it when I was younger. I think its legit but I can't prove it...that's why I am asking people to help. I have no interest in wasting my time on things that are most likely fake. Also, the Cahokia museum seemed to believe it was real but not from their tribe.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. It seems like a lot of artwork on a very common rock. If wonder if it looks different wet.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i didnt even pay attention to that....looks like a dinosour. Back in the day there were certain times in america where hoaxing artifacts happened. Usually taking place because of differing sides of misc. debates etc in archaeology. I wonder if your pc is one of those. The fish is carved pretty good :icon_scratch:. But not to say its not a cool pc. even if it does have some ulterior motives behind its manufacture.

Here's some nice "man fights dinosaur" stones for you...........

Ica Stones « Who You Calling a Skeptic?

http://www.viewzone.com/dinostone.ica.html

SkySaint, really neat rock, but I'm not sure it's Native American and the carving seems too fresh somehow. Thing on top does remind one of a dinosaur

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it to be Native American either. Your grandfather may have found it, but I believe it was probably done by some artist and then lost.

OP
OP
S

SkySaint

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a similar stone that was found near the same location as mine, though this one is verified as Cahokia. The lines on this stone are close to the same width and look somewhat new as well....not all old things age badly, especially rocks.
frankepipebirdmancahokiasm.jpg

artfinder

Sep 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I'm just wondering if you've ever looked at this piece with a loupe. (Or even higher magnification, to determine its age. It will be obvious if it's new (less than several hundred, or even a thousand years old) if its surface isn't comprised mostly of "convexities" (tiny bumps, or "outies"). Newer items will be smooth, or filled with convex "divots". If you can determine that it's very old, I would simply hold on to it and keep asking questions. Everyone loves to tell you what something ISN'T, and yet being a collector of art, indian artifacts and antiques for 40 years I can tell you that nine times out of 10, they are wrong, simply out of innocent ignorance. Until someone sees it who knows what it is, having seen similar objects before, or until you do laboratory analysis (carbon dating of surface organic matter, for example), don't believe just anyone who tries to tell you what something isn't. Nobody has seen everything made by a particular group of "prehistoric" people (to use the word vaguely) from a particular area, or the particular time period that the items might have come from. It could be 30,000 years old until scrutiny can prove otherwise. For me, the most fun to come from finding treasures is doing the research, and trying to discover unknown items. Also worth remembering is that very few "early" art renderings are necessarily anatomically accurate. As with any art object, each artist was attempting to "materialize" something desireable, and to tell a story. More times than not, their depiction was somewhat "fantastic" on purpose. Best of luck with that item!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30,000 years old?? Not sure it's ever been proven the US was occupied that far back. I still say this was someone art project or bought for decoration and then lost. I highly doubt it's ancient or Native American.

D.E.A.P.

Jul 8, 2015
BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely not an expert. And I don't usually put my two cents worth in because I'm not. But this time I will. Your second stone looks like Hopewell origin, or as they are often called "Mound builders" Which ancestors came from Israel. Many of the artifacts found in the Hopewell mounds which are all over North America but most heavily in Illinois and Ohio and some of the Midwestern states. It looks like the ornaments around the neck could represent copper which the Hopewell Indians were proficient with. They were also proficient with cement. In Ohio there is a mound which has the same angles and shape as the Pyramids of Egypt. However it dwarfs the pyramids. Look them up on YouTube.
There is also a museum I think in Ohio for the Hopewell Indians. They have expert archeologist which could tell you. At the museum they have swords from mass graves found at some of the mounds. With head plates and breast plates made from copper. A more advanced civilization from Israel. The mounds are often shaped in the form of A menorah or the tea lamp that the Israelites used. From an aerial view some of the mounds depict stars and planet movements. At one mound there was a cement box that was found and cut open. And it was a statue of Moses with the 10 Commandments around it. Dated 300 years before the Bible had reached America. According to most archaeologist Hopewell Indians were here around 600 BC to 400 A.D.
I would suggest looking up that museum for the Hopewell Indians and talking to somebody there. The second stone definitely looks Jewish in nature.
Regards, Steve

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i would love to see some links on what you just wrote

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread