Need help identifying iron

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost tossed this out last week but decided i better find out what it was first. Need help identifying this relic found in an old mining ghost town.... image-50230697.png

image-1695653091.png

image-3600581780.png

image-1304936048.png

image-2870772664.png

Last edited:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Part of gate latch (it almost resembles a really large window lock). A cable guide from a winch? (trying to account for why the front of the cutout in the middle is tapered)
Contemplated a trigger plate off a double barrel, with a guard between the triggers?... But I don't know old guns well enough to know any of the many reasons that could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
What's odd about this item is the reverse. It was made to mount on a curved or angled surface. Look at how the eyelets are tapered on the back.

Could it be the housing for a small light bulb meant to go on a bumper or hood/fender of an early car? I think I'm wrong on this, but the mount on the back is throwing me for a loop. I would think this is decorative or minimally functional (something that won't get hard use) Curious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess i left out the fact that it i found it in an old mining ghost town, sorry guys... I was also told that it looked like a mini ball mold. Its in the middle of the desert between some mountains of this Mining ghost town. There's lots of cans from baking powder cans,oil cans, wheel barrel rings and tobacco cans.

Also found this at about 6" in a dried up stream bed. It looks like part of a cowboys spur.

image-2277058185.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brady boy that actual sounds better than the other comments lol. Either that or a beer opener!! Jk

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Antique or vintage flag pole holder?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a picture or sign hanger. I don't think it is a lamp hanger as the hook to hang the lamp would be to close to the wall.

Upvote 0

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
I looked for a while and couldn't find a good example, but I think its the coin slot and bottle opener for a vending machine. The coin slot goes on top...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt it it was found in an old mining town, nothing but old tin cans and liberty V nickels in this area

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this area sharp or does it look like it could have been sharp at one time? I'm thinking it is part of a vintage twine cutter and it fit atop of a spool that held a bail of twine/string. The twine went through the hole and then with a downward motion could have been cut. As Kevo said, the way the back is made is unusual; the back could be the front and the odd shaped slated cups on each end was made that way to fit upon the twine spool holder.

Interesting find :)
Breezie Twine.JPG

Upvote 0

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Breezie just pointed out made me think cheese grater for some reason. I know its not but might work on the same principal. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good catch Breezie. I didn't notice the part that looks like a cutter before. That with the angled brackets have me rethinking the picture or sign hanger. Could it be that a small cable ran over the cutter indent and under the beak? Just not sure how it would have been used!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting guys...! Keep'em coming!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread