🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help identifying pewter badge/plate

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I was metal detecting in a dry stream bed in a local woods when I uncovered a pewter badge/plaque/plate with an image of what I think is a King with a subject kneeling (i.e. Royal Touch?). I had the metal analyzed and know that it is made of pewter. I have researched throughout the internet and sent out requests to various museums with not much luck. I will say that I have uncovered while metal detecting in these woods 18th, 19th & early 20th century coins/artifacts as well as some potential Indian trade metal items (i.e., hawks bell, metal point). Anyone that knows anything of what they think the artifact was part of or its potential date I welcome their thoughts.
IMG_2316.JPEG
IMG_2317.JPEG
IMG_2320.JPEG

OP
OP
A
Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it looks like a woman feeding a child while sitting in a chair.
Kind of 19 centuryish.
I also originally thought that it was a religious representation of a woman (Mary?) feeding a child. And thought the thing on the head was a halo. However, an expert in antique Pewter that I contacted had suggested that they thought that it was not a halo but a wig worn by Kings and they thought that it was a representation of the act of healing by the Kings Touch which has been represented in wood prints of the 17th and 18th century. I obviously do not know and would like to find some real evidence of what it was from. There are religious pilgrim medals made of pewter from the 15th century but this looks too thick and in too good of shape for that. In general pewter items tended to be less popular after the 18th century but that is not sufficient to make any real conclusion of the dating.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
A
Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see tile floor and buildings in the distance , and the lady with child like the poster above. I bet it's a brand badge off something?
If you every find it please send it to me. The fact that there are no hall marks that would be typical of 17th-18th century British manufacture may indicate that it is indeed modern. But what modern item would have a religious scene that would be bolted to wooden box? Maybe a catholic collection box?

Upvote 3

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
dont know what it is, messed with the bright & contrast some, the program i used named it lighthouse
it dosent usually do that. I name it when i save, strange

Lighthouse.png

Attachments

• Lighthouse - Edited.jpg
    Lighthouse - Edited.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 1

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It occurred to me this morning that this may in fact not be the final product, but it could be a mold. I was considering why the detail would be better inside the piece and what it might look like if you poured wax in it to see the impression when that idea of being a mold jumped out. And the tabs top and bottom could be to lock the mold into a holder of some kind. Also added to my guess that it was Mary holding baby Jesus. I know nothing about making jewelry, but could a molten precious metal be poured into a mold like that. Just can't account for a rim for containment. My imagination running wild this morning. Probably because I am heading to a Treasure Coast beach today. Wish me luck.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking it's a Catholic version of a mezuzah - a doorpost blessing.

BL-845+Door+2.jpg

This one is considerably larger (6x3 inches) but it gives you the idea. This would be hung on the outside door frame or just inside the door of a house. I believe, in the Jewish tradition, these are touched as you enter the house as a declaration of your faith in God.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
A
Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! Thanks. Now I do not have making an impression.
I got a response from a European expert from the British Museum and they said that her headgear did not appear to be a crown or a halo and that they thought maybe it was a Saint such as St. Elizabeth or St. John.
My current theory is that it is a German Springerle mold made of pewter. These molds were used to decorate cookies and were made of wood or metal. However, I am still waiting to hear from some experts on Springerle molds to get their opinion.

Upvote 1

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA:
My original thought is that it looks like it was broken off where small nails held it unto wood. Like SanDog said. Check out the holes at the 6 and 12 O'clock position. I would say it is a depiction of a saint. I could see it being an icon above a Holy water cup entering churches/near pews, etc?

Just a wag, among wags:)

Cool find!

Upvote 0

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,
I was metal detecting in a dry stream bed in a local woods when I uncovered a pewter badge/plaque/plate with an image of what I think is a King with a subject kneeling (i.e. Royal Touch?). I had the metal analyzed and know that it is made of pewter. I have researched throughout the internet and sent out requests to various museums with not much luck. I will say that I have uncovered while metal detecting in these woods 18th, 19th & early 20th century coins/artifacts as well as some potential Indian trade metal items (i.e., hawks bell, metal point). Anyone that knows anything of what they think the artifact was part of or its potential date I welcome their thoughts. View attachment 2035101 View attachment 2035102 View attachment 2035103
Is it possible,it could be african related? Or dose it look that old?

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look pewter to me.