Need help identifying

OrangeHunter

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2022
Orange County Ca
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Hello everyone,

My first time posting here, I’m new to treasure hunting I bought a metal detector about two months ago and on my last outing I found something interesting and I’m having a hard time identifying it. I found it in Orange County Ca in an area that once housed old ranches from late 1800’s. It seems to be pretty old and looks to be hand made from silver, its about the size of a half dollar. I’m posting pics of both sides.

Has anyone seen something like this before?
3156BE96-38B8-4931-9200-A42FB784D770.jpeg 8FCEA8DC-7A2F-4F0A-92E6-404D903503CB.jpeg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome .. Can you make out any of the lettering on either side?

Upvote 0

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

My first time posting here, I’m new to treasure hunting I bought a metal detector about two months ago and on my last outing I found something interesting and I’m having a hard time identifying it. I found it in Orange County Ca in an area that once housed old ranches from late 1800’s. It seems to be pretty old and looks to be hand made from silver, its about the size of a half dollar. I’m posting pics of both sides.

View attachment 2029853 View attachment 2029854
welcome aboard and thanks for posting. not sure about silver or the ID but good luck. Very cool find

Upvote 1

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Cool !!! Congrats!!! You may try tooth picking it a bit. It may be aluminum. Does it have any weight to it?

Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

My first time posting here...I’m having a hard time identifying it....Has anyone seen something like this before?...
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 3

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Welcome to Tnet!!!

Upvote 1

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.
I will check the weight and measure it when I get home but yes its feels heavy not light like aluminum.
Cool!!! Good luck with the ID. Too bad the letters weren’t a little more visible.

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Orangehunter. I hope you can get it cleaned up better

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take a piece of paper and use a pencil turned on its side rubbing back and forth you should be able to make out the lettering. That is what I meant when I said do a rubbing. The raised letters should come through on the rubbing and also possibly any picture or design that is raised.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
O

OrangeHunter

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2022
Orange County Ca
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Ok, guys so this is pretty funny. After using Back-of-the-Boat's idea I was able to read "Gyldenholt Unbelted". After a quick google search, It turns out they have some medieval role-playing event every year in the field I was hunting. So I don't know if this was a prize or part of someone's costume but in other words, it's junk lol.

Thank you guys for the tips I will lock them away in memory for next time.

Upvote 6

Jack873

Nov 13, 2011
Willow Grove, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, guys so this is pretty funny. After using Back-of-the-Boat's idea I was able to read "Gyldenholt Unbelted". After a quick google search, It turns out they have some medieval role-playing event every year in the field I was hunting. So I don't know if this was a prize or part of someone's costume but in other words, it's junk lol.

Thank you guys for the tips I will lock them away in memory for next time.
I believe you are correct. I kept seeing what looked like a crossed hammer and sword on the reverse, but after reading this reply, I believe it's a crossed hammer and pliers(blacksmithing).

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread