• 1A5B5263-E6AD-45F0-84F5-70A6B31332F5.jpeg
    1A5B5263-E6AD-45F0-84F5-70A6B31332F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a Russian 2 kopek depicting St. George the victorious. Not sure though.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Never seen one of those before. The imagery is loosely borrowed from the English Tudor ‘George’ noble gold coin. This one is Henry VIII (1526-1529):

Noble.jpg

I can’t read it all and, in some cases the letters are abbreviated Latin words which might be hard to interpret, but the reverse (with St George slaying the dragon) has a variation on the original legend for Henry’s coin. The letter that looks like a Greek ‘pi’ symbol is a mediaeval ‘A’ and the character that looks like a lower case ‘a’ is a mediaeval ‘C’.

So the reverse of Henry’s coin reads (in Latin): TALI : DICA : SIGnO : MES 'x FLVCTVARI : nEQVIT (Consecrated by such a sign the mind cannot waver). On yours there is at least the beginning of that as: TALI*DICA[TT] but it then goes off-piste with something like: SIS MES PLVCAT v ARI nE?T. Stumped on that.

The obverse for Henry’s coin (with ship, cross and Tudor rose) reads: hENRIC8 DI'x G'x R'+ AGL'+ Z + FRAnC'x DnS '+ hIBERnI (Henry the Eighth by the Grace of God King of England and France Lord of Ireland) but yours has been replaced by something entirely different that I can’t decipher.

It was common for prestigious English gold coins to inspire imitations in Europe with suitable adaptations… both for regular coinage and for jetons/tokens, and for centuries after the English originals were no longer in circulation. My feeling is that this a late 19th or early 20th Century brass continental token for use in card games and such rather than an earlier jeton in the sense of being used for accounting purposes.

Upvote 8

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-coats coin is a lot better example than the Russian coins I found. Mine had the front but not the obverse matching yours. Interested to see the final outcome (I.D.)

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to note is that the 'inspired by' copying of English gold coin designs onto continental European coinage often resulted in the legends being 'blundered'. That is, the words may have no real meaning because letters were copied by engravers who had no understanding of what they were, or that they could be Latin abbreviations.

If this token was copied from or inspired by a continental coin that had itself been copied from or inspired by an English gold coin, there is further scope for nonsense legends.

The word on the obverse (the ship side) beginning with 'AA' may be a case in point. It's unlikely as a word or an abbreviated word:

AA.jpg

Or, as Don says, it could just be a fantasy item with borrowed imagery.

Upvote 7
OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Never seen one of those before. The imagery is loosely borrowed from the English Tudor ‘George’ noble gold coin. This one is Henry VIII (1526-1529):

View attachment 2068524

I can’t read it all and, in some cases the letters are abbreviated Latin words which might be hard to interpret, but the reverse (with St George slaying the dragon) has a variation on the original legend for Henry’s coin. The letter that looks like a Greek ‘pi’ symbol is a mediaeval ‘A’ and the character that looks like a lower case ‘a’ is a mediaeval ‘C’.

So the reverse of Henry’s coin reads (in Latin): TALI : DICA : SIGnO : MES 'x FLVCTVARI : nEQVIT (Consecrated by such a sign the mind cannot waver). On yours there is at least the beginning of that as: TALI*DICA[TT] but it then goes off-piste with something like: SIS MES PLVCAT v ARI nE?T. Stumped on that.

The obverse for Henry’s coin (with ship, cross and Tudor rose) reads: hENRIC8 DI'x G'x R'+ AGL'+ Z + FRAnC'x DnS '+ hIBERnI (Henry the Eighth by the Grace of God King of England and France Lord of Ireland) but yours has been replaced by something entirely different that I can’t decipher.

It was common for prestigious English gold coins to inspire imitations in Europe with suitable adaptations… both for regular coinage and for jetons/tokens, and for centuries after the English originals were no longer in circulation. My feeling is that this a late 19th or early 20th Century brass continental token for use in card games and such rather than an earlier jeton in the sense of being used for accounting purposes.
Thanks Red-Coat!! Think You nailed it:)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this token and have no clue what it says, or what it is. I’d love to hear any ID or language decipher as to what it says. Thank You in advance!!! Happy Hunting!!!
Thanks for All the help!!! You All are Awesome!!!

Upvote 4

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we have a solution here, in the sense that we don't know where it came from, who produced it, when it was made or what it was for. All that can be said for sure is that it's loosely copied from an English Tudor gold 'George' noble, complete with at least part of its original legend. The rest is guesswork, albeit with some intuition.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we have a solution here, in the sense that we don't know where it came from, who produced it, when it was made or what it was for. All that can be said for sure is that it's loosely copied from an English Tudor gold 'George' noble, complete with at least part of its original legend. The rest is guesswork, albeit with some intuition.
Ok I’ll leave it open. It’s coming together though:) Thanks!

Upvote 1

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

Attachments

• replica.jpg
    replica.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 8

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 2

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is so odd how it was copied so inaccurately and for what ever reason.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this may be it -

I think you nailed it!

Bingo... that's definitely it, although it doesn't bring us any closer to who made it, where or why. "Fantasy medal" is a bit of a catch-all that leaves open a number of possibilities. At least if it is aluminium we can say it's a relatively modern item and not earlier than the very late 19th Century. More likely 20th Century.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used