Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if someone can help me ID the type of mineral in tye rock I've found. It's a first one for me but I'm sure some of you have seen something similar. Metal detector reacts to the rock, it's very heavy (maybe pyrite?)

Thanks.

20210626_130408.jpg 20210626_130334.jpg 20210626_130345.jpg

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a neat rock. Certainly appears to have pyrite in it, but the discoloring on the last photo makes me think it could have bornite or chalcopyrite mixed in. Do you have a small enough chunk that you could see what color streak inside makes? Inside of the toilet tank works well. Pyrite is supposed to have a greenish-black streak.

I have a specimen right now that I'm trying to ID that has an extremely similar stucture to the inside of yours. However, its streak is distincly grey, and its specific gravity is markedly higher than pyrite. I reached out randomly to professors at Emory, UGA, and Georgia Tech and miraculously, all three are trying to help me ID it. The Ga Tech guy calls it a "head-scratcher." Anyway, take a look at this pic. Pretty close to yours.

IMG_1542.JPG

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a neat rock. Certainly appears to have pyrite in it, but the discoloring on the last photo makes me think it could have bornite or chalcopyrite mixed in. Do you have a small enough chunk that you could see what color streak inside makes? Inside of the toilet tank works well. Pyrite is supposed to have a greenish-black streak.

I have a specimen right now that I'm trying to ID that has an extremely similar stucture to the inside of yours. However, its streak is distincly grey, and its specific gravity is markedly higher than pyrite. I reached out randomly to professors at Emory, UGA, and Georgia Tech and miraculously, all three are trying to help me ID it. The Ga Tech guy calls it a "head-scratcher." Anyway, take a look at this pic. Pretty close to yours.

View attachment 1934413

It does look very similar. Thanks for the info

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread