🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help with an old 2 man wall tent

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a garage sale a few years ago and saw an old flour sack from a local mill and even better the sack was also made locally so I asked the guy what was up with the old flour sack. He said "Oh that's just my dad's old army tent. You can have it for $15" needless to say I didn't even look at the tent because I figured coming out of a basement or utility shed it would be ruined from mold and mildew. But I was willing to pay the money for the sack. I got it home and one thing led to another I put the whole thing in a cedar trunk o use for storage. Fast forward 2 years I'm getting ready to move. I dump the flour sack out and I'm floored because "dad's old army tent" is in pristine condition the ropes aren't even warn. I found out it was made by the same company that made the flour sack. I was wondering about a possible date. The only thing I can find for a date is if it is a civilian tent it was made before 1935. I can't find a way to date it if is a military tent. Can anybody point me in the right direction to date it?

Attachments

• 20220226_171630.jpg
    20220226_171630.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 336
  • 20220226_171216.jpg
    20220226_171216.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • 20220226_171207.jpg
    20220226_171207.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The James Field Co was founded in 1848 in Rochester NY. They made every manner of canvas product imaginable. They also made rope. Later on they became a toy store and hardware store.

Upvote 2

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
try poking about here...

these are what we used to use back in the day, you carried half and your buddy carried the other half.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try poking about here...

these are what we used to use back in the day, you carried half and your buddy carried the other half.
This is a full wall tent not a shelter half. But thank you.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find a number of references to the company around 1900. 1 reference from 1938. Nothing after that I could find.

Also nothing to indicate work for the military. They made tents for camping as evidenced on the 1926 advert.

I'm guessing pre-WWII civilian tent.

jamesfield ad 1926.JPG
jamesfield letter 1902.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a number of references to the company around 1900. 1 reference from 1938. Nothing after that I could find.

Also nothing to indicate work for the military. They made tents for camping as evidenced on the 1926 advert.

I'm guessing pre-WWII civilian tent.

View attachment 2013099 View attachment 2013100
Thanks. I was thinking definitely pre WWII . my guess is the guys father worked there and got the old 5 finger employee discount. The local library has businesses records showing the dates of operation. The part that has thrown me off the most is the way it is constructed. The way the door is sewn in and the styling. The closest in design I have seen are pictures of old civil war tents that the officers of New Yorks 5th regiment used. I'm not saying I think it's a civil war era tent but it is the only picture I have found that looks like it is the same pattern. I wonder if it was made as a reproduction for reenactors. The fact the guy called it his dad's army tent is also strange. No willitary insignia on it just makers marks and a last name on the door flap that I just found. It looks as if it was only used a handful of times at most. I want to take it to the local historical society and see what they have to say. Of it has any historical significance to them I will probably donate it to them. If not it's probably heading to ebay. I've used canvas tents before and they're more work to maintain than what I want to put into a tent.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you didn't get poles with it. I'd like to see it set up.

I've been a CW reenactor for years. Our officers use wall tents like this:

wall_tents.jpg

Does yours have grommets for the side poles?

This design has been used for centuries... If the historical society doesn't want it, it would likely be worth a couple hundred bucks to a reenactor. Wish I lived closer to you...

Upvote 1
OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wall_tents.jpg

This design has been used for centuries... If the historical society doesn't want it, it would likely be worth a couple hundred bucks to a reenactor. Wish I lived closer to you...
No poles with it but yes very close to that except the door flaps are about 12-16 inches below the peak of the tent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wall_tents.jpg

I will look. The gromets it does have I was shocked to see are just sewn in . No brass just heavy thread.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread