Apr 12, 2011
PORT ORCHARD WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Fisher CZ 6
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wanting to get a small coil for my Sovereign GT found this one (5" DD EXcelerator Search Coil for Minelab (Sovereign Series)) at Kellyco. Has anyone used this coil or can give me a review on it or know of a good small coil where to buy one. Would like your expert or opinion. I like the Elliptical Search Coil but can't find on for the GT. Please help me with all you reviews and opinions. Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the Excelerator coil as it doesn't measure up to the Sunray coils. Sun Ray Intruder S-5: 5" Search Coil for the Minelab Sovereign (all Versions including the Sovereign GT, Elite and XS)
http://www.detectordepot.com/sun_ray_search_coils.htm If you could compare them side by side like we have you could tell the difference in depth and sensitivity. :thumbsup:

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Tornado 8" coil. It is actually about 7.25 I think. the Sunray is like 5,5. The difference in size is not that much, but the small tornado goes deeper and is just a great coil.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Goodmore about the 8" Tornado. The depth is very good.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i like all the Sun Ray coils.they are lighter than stock coils and just as deep. the S8 is hard to beat for tight areas..and i love the S12 on the beach!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Sun Ray is a good coil, and so is the Coiltek Joey. The Joey is my go to coil in trash these days, with incredible depth and target separation. :icon_thumright:

Try The Coiltek you wont be disappointed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a couple of the EXcelerator coils for my Sov and sold them, I hated them, now the SEF Butterfly coils are another story, they are like the difference between night and day from the EXcelerator coils............. Same manufactor, world of difference...

I own two of the SEF Butterfly coils, a 12x15" and the 15X18", the 15X18 I use on my Sov GT when I can't get in the water due to high surf, the 12X18 is wired on one of my Excals, and a WOT coil is wired on my other Excal....

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But which is better: the S-8 or the Tornado 8 inch, or is there any difference?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread