Need help with identifying this stone

Biosattva

Greenie
Sep 10, 2021
Turkey
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some information about the stone: İt's transculent, hard, has moss trapped in it, it's been used for a tool.

IMG_20211016_190932.jpg
IMG_20211016_190909.jpg
IMG_20211016_191046.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like moss agate to me.

Agree.

Just for clarification, moss agate doesn't actually contain any moss (and it's also not a true agate in that it isn't banded).

The moss-like inclusions are from dendritic deposits of metal oxides (notably manganese, iron and chromium, but also other trace elements) which give the deposits different colours. Strictly speaking, the name "moss agate" is reserved for specimens where the deposits are green. Otherwise it's "dendritic quartz", but sellers of semi-precious stones and lapidary materials have stretched the definition for marketing reasons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Biosattva

Greenie
Sep 10, 2021
Turkey
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree.

Just for clarification, moss agate doesn't actually contain any moss (and it's also not a true agate in that it isn't banded).

The moss-like inclusions are from dendritic deposits of metal oxides (notably manganese, iron and chromium, but also other trace elements) which give the deposits different colours. Strictly speaking, the name "moss agate" is reserved for specimens where the deposits are green. Otherwise it's "dendritic quartz", but sellers of semi-precious stones and lapidary materials have stretched the definition for marketing reasons.
Wow, i was pretty sure there was some plants trapped inside. So in my case is it dendritic qurtaz then? Because the deposits are black.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, i was pretty sure there was some plants trapped inside. So in my case is it dendritic qurtaz then? Because the deposits are black.

Yes, that's right... although some sellers still refer to it as "moss agate" which, as I said, is for marketing reasons. Black is usually from manganese oxide deposits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Biosattva

Greenie
Sep 10, 2021
Turkey
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that's right... although some sellers still refer to it as "moss agate" which, as I said, is for marketing reasons. Black is usually from manganese oxide deposits.
One last thing i want to ask, when i google dendritic quartz it shows crystal form quartz, could dendritic agate be closer?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing i want to ask, when i google dendritic quartz it shows crystal form quartz, could dendritic agate be closer?

Again, opinions will vary because the lapidary world has little respect for purist geological definitions and popular names for minerals generally derive from the former.

Agate is composed primarily of chalcedony and quartz, both of which are forms of silica, but strictly speaking the term is reserved for materials which are banded. Quartz itself is defined by its trigonal crystal form but doesn’t always appear as obvious crystals to the naked eye (It can also be ‘massive’ in crystal habit). When it does have an obvious crystal structure, that’s the material most valued by collectors and lapidarists, so it dominates web-searches when looking for images.

The probability is that your specimen will be a mixture of silica minerals dominated by one or both of chalcedony and quartz.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread