✅ SOLVED Need help with this one

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with this ID? I found what seems like iron - 6 inches long and exactly 1 inch wide. It’s almost blade thin at one end and gradually increases in thickness as you move toward the other end. This was on the property of a farm established in mid-1700s. I found some evidence of hunting around where this was— an old shotgun shell and .22LT in the same area. 93A894DC-1C8F-4437-8239-F43577693959.jpeg 16D5C3E0-0B3A-4991-9E8D-1E8F4DEF7A23.jpeg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those of us who detect old farm/homestead sites often find unidentifiable interesting old iron fragments, your find fits into that category.
I have a scrap iron basket in my workshop that's currently bending the shelf it's sitting on as I type this response. :laughing7:

Hope you get your find identified,
Dave

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
May be part of a hand forged strap hinge, but I like Dave's ID of it being an unidentifiable interesting old iron fragment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be part of a hand forged strap hinge, but I like Dave's ID of it being an unidentifiable interesting old iron fragment.

I think it most closely resembles a part of a hand-forged iron T-strap hinge 18th century— check out this pic 0D228D31-91D3-4C05-B7AB-A78A66F794D8.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I mark solved on the message board?

Can anyone help with this ID? I found what seems like iron - 6 inches long and exactly 1 inch wide. It’s almost blade thin at one end and gradually increases in thickness as you move toward the other end. This was on the property of a farm established in mid-1700s. I found some evidence of hunting around where this was– an old shotgun shell and .22LT in the same area. View attachment 1751248 View attachment 1751249

How do I mark this as solved with the green check?

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, like Robin said, "Holey rusted metal Batman!" That appears to be what you have.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call all that stuff UIJs for Unidentifiable Iron Junk. It Could be a piece of a strap hinge or it might not be.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I got a few likes for my "agreed"...

But I have to tell ya... when I first glanced at this... it REALLY struck me as a knife.

I will post picture of one I had in mind.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now mind you... the one OP posted would be a "broken" one of SOMETHING SIMILIAR to this...

The "rivet holes" sorta give me this vibe is where my mind was going.

images.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now mind you... the one OP posted would be a "broken" one of SOMETHING SIMILIAR to this...

The "rivet holes" sorta give me this vibe is where my mind was going.

View attachment 1751480

Interesting . . . I wonder, would the part of the iron/metal in a knife handle go from thin at the top to thick at the handle? That side view photo . . .

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The side view picture looks more like original guess by Creskol of a hand forged iron "strap hinge" because of the taper.

We may never know the true I.D. of your item... so its not solved... just "in limbo". heh

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I got a few likes for my "agreed"...

But I have to tell ya... when I first glanced at this... it REALLY struck me as a knife.

I will post picture of one I had in mind.

C'mon man, what were you smoking today? No knife tapers off that way. Old forged knives do often have a tapered tang but the taper goes from thick to thin from the guard area back to the butt. I know you know better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The side view picture looks more like original guess by Creskol of a hand forged iron "strap hinge" because of the taper.

We may never know the true I.D. of your item... so its not solved... just "in limbo". heh

Ha— I wish there was a “Solved Enough For Me” option

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread