token_side1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 205
  • token_side2.jpg
    token_side2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 238

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It's listed in Vacketta's Trade Tokens of Illinois, and the description notes that it is center-holed; so, that would not affect the value. Another variety is listed as well. No date information is provided. The token is rated R6: "Extremely rare — 1-5 known." At the time of the book's publication (1983), R6 tokens were assigned a value of "$5 up."

Note: I believe this token was probably issued by Mallow's Cigar Store in Urbana, IL, as I found a couple of listings for them, c. 1935-40.

OP
OP
fikys

fikys

Dec 27, 2006
IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
PBK said:
It's listed in Vacketta's Trade Tokens of Illinois, and the description notes that it is center-holed; so, that would not affect the value. Another variety is listed as well. No date information is provided. The token is rated R6: "Extremely rare — 1-5 known." At the time of the book's publication (1983), R6 tokens were assigned a value of "$5 up."

Wow! Thank you. I would never think my first token will be "extremely rare" one. But, probably I have token #6 and that moves it to lower category :(:).

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
fikys said:
Still intereseted in date. Maybe local university library will help to figure out if MALLOWS was a company in Urbana

I just added some info to my post. Check it out! ;)

Later, I may be able to get an update on the value, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread