Azjg

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale AZ
Detector(s) used
Fischer gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 questions
1) Brand new to detecting. Have read up on machines that are affordable that focus on non-ferrous. I chose a Gold Bug Pro. It comes with a small 5 in. coil which dosen’t cover much ground.
Rather than only consider the Fischer 10 inch coil I am wondering why they don’t offer an even larger one?
2) While working the country side I have found a white quartz rock with a small amt. of gold in it near a mining area but I felt like it takes forever using this little coil to cover rocky outcropping.
Can someone with experience let me know why I should keep with the 10 inch coil- or feel assured a larger specific comparable coil should be considered.
3) I happen to be a history channel fan and watch a certain show about an island with a buried treasure...... and he always uses what I assume, is a good detector and it has a large coil.
He often say “it’s two way repeatable” when he finds an item. What’s that mean?

Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you come across a signal swing over it 1st left and right, then step 90 degrees and repeat so that you've swung over the target from 2 different directions like a cross hair or X. If it repeats most every time it's a good one....maybe. Dig them all for a while until you start to recognize the sound patterns. Rust or iron oxide will sound like a good target but usually disappears when disturbed from digging, then there's those darn hot rocks with enough minerals to go beep.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 questions
1) Brand new to detecting. Have read up on machines that are affordable that focus on non-ferrous. I chose a Gold Bug Pro. It comes with a small 5 in. coil which dosen’t cover much ground.
Rather than only consider the Fischer 10 inch coil I am wondering why they don’t offer an even larger one?
2) While working the country side I have found a white quartz rock with a small amt. of gold in it near a mining area but I felt like it takes forever using this little coil to cover rocky outcropping.
Can someone with experience let me know why I should keep with the 10 inch coil- or feel assured a larger specific comparable coil should be considered.
3) I happen to be a history channel fan and watch a certain show about an island with a buried treasure...... and he always uses what I assume, is a good detector and it has a large coil.
He often say “it’s two way repeatable” when he finds an item. What’s that mean?

1) The gold bug pro will give you optimum depth with the 10" DD coil. The 5" coil is perfect for tailings and bedrock.

2) Low and slow, is the nuggetshooter's motto. Small pieces of gold are the bread and butter of modern electronic gold prospectors and placer miners. Yes, it takes time, but that little coil is Mighty!

3) You sweep the target and get a "zip-zip." Now turn 90-degrees to the target and sweep it again. If you get the same "zip-zip" or positive signal, that is a two-way repeatable target.

The 10" elliptical coil is Great in the field, and go's in between rocks a round coil won't.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've personally pretty much stick with my 5" on the Monster exclusively now as I find that usually I need the small coil to get in between rocks, into cracks, roots, under and around brush, etc. etc. Rarely do I have a spot I can use the 10" for any real length of time so I just keep the 5" on. I also believe the small coil does better on the tiniest of bits (jmo)???? My biggest nugg (25g) I truly believe was captured by me and the 5" only because I stuck the little coil underneath a blowdown in between roots on the root wad...a larger coil could not have gotten in there. This location has also been hit many times before and also by many PI's with larger coils...they just couldn't get in there. For that reason alone (my belief), I doubt I'll run the 10" coil unless I have a larger location where I can take advantage of a larger coil for any reasonable length of time??? I do always pack it with me should I run across a good scenario to use it....jmo

Like already mentioned...low and slow...…. along with patience, persistence and a lot of tenacity!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Azjg

Dec 14, 2019
Scottsdale AZ
Detector(s) used
Fischer gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, very much. Learning a lot from all. Really appreciate you taking the time.
Can’t get smart wondering.
The place I found the treasure in was along a road that years ago had trucks carrying ore from a large mine to a processing location.
There was a lot of rock on both sides of the road. Lots of copper and iron in the rocks in different locations along the road leading from the mine to the processing area. (Right side leading away from mine) which also served as a little gully or stream when rain comes down.
The next question I have is this.
It’s a public gravel road rarely used by anyone but private land owners where the mine was.
The two specimens that have had gold on them were white quartz.
Not lots of it (white quartz) has showed up so far. Both rock had red stain near dark cracks running thru them. That’s where the gold was located. Less than a gram but not pyrite. I tested it at home. Very bright yellow . Really stood out.
When I place the coil near them the noise zipping gets very fast. As opposed to a piece of steel. Which is not as fast.
Is that what you’ve experienced with gold as well?
Again I learned from your comments. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread