Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well have u looked into the atpro seems to be a winner this year waterproof to 10' i think with whats said on ur wish list of land and water and at least what a foot or 2 of water sound like a perfect combo for the pro it can also do fresh and salt. there mayb other detectors that can do both but i havent tried them this one i have and it would be my choce. do u have a limit on what ur looking to spend on a detector or

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excalibur or Minelab sovereign

only downside if you want a meter

then with meters , Minelab Explorer , Minelab Etrac or Minelab 3030
depending on your $$$$

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup all gonna depend on the Cash flow

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowman - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking for a MD that will work on land but also at the Beaches and in salt water say like up to you knees. I any info anyone has to help me find what I am looking for I would be very happy.

Thank You,
BowmanPa

The quest for the perfect metal detector to this point has been quixotic. Minelab, has a fully submersible beach machine that can discriminate out iron in wet sand and saltwater. The “Excalibur” uses Broad Band Spectrum, or “BBS” technology, and retails for about $1,500.00. According to Minelab, their BBS operating system, “simultaneously transmits, receives and analyses a broad band of multiple frequencies to deliver substantial detection depth, high sensitivity and accurate discrimination for a wide range of target types.” The key takeaway here is “multiple frequencies.”

Another multiple-frequency machine to look at is the Fisher CZ21 ($1,200.00). Unfortunately, radio waves regardless of their frequency still have to be filtered and balanced in heavily conductive wet-ocean sand and highly mineralized saltwater. That limits the systems depth capabilities.

Single frequency VLF machines (Very Low Frequency) like the Garrett AT Pro, have even more limitations in the harsh saltwater environment. Take for example the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. This VLF single frequency machine (17.9Khz) is one of the finest and deepest gold nugget finders on the market today. The Lobo Super Traq, is capable of finding BB-sized gold nuggets eight-inches deep in heavily mineralized ground, or a nickel in dry beach sand at 14-inches. Put that same nugget – or even the nickel, seven-inches deep in wet saltwater sand and the Lobo could walk right over it while chattering, or maybe without seeing it at all. Why?

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS and VLF metal detectors, which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency radio waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

PI metal detectors (like the Tesoro Sand Shark and Whites Dual Field), give the user superior depth capabilities in all metal detecting situations and soil conditions. Using the same heavy fog at night metaphor that I referred to earlier, pulse induction is like headlights that cut completely through the fog as if it were not there at all. The trade-off for that added depth and clarity is the inability to discriminate, or block out iron targets that you generally don’t want to waste time and energy digging. While a pulse induction machine detects all metals without discrimination, the minute differences in the signal tone and quality can give a skilled and experienced operator a clue as to what the target may, or may not be.

Will one machine do it all? Not in my opinion. I always advise new beach metal detecting hobbyists to have a VLF machine for dry sand (as well as their other dirt detecting needs), and a PI machine for the water and wet-sand (and deep farm field and relic hunting). In truth, it all comes down to what you prefer and can afford. Good Luck!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my opinión on that is the pro actually does pretty well in the salt water I took.mine to Cape cod it seemed to work pretty well given that yes it is a single frequency but at least from What I seen even on here & in my own grounds seems to be one of the more versitle detectors & considerably low in price with the features it has & how well it adapts. Now the other detector thst wasnt mentiond that works in more then 1 frequency actually 3 at same time is the whites v3i & im pretty sure u can go in water up to the control Box & I dont think theres another detector built in the World with the amount if options & changes u can do to 1 machine. Any sight any spot any terrain can be hunted with & make any change to acomodate the ground or just use its programs right out of the Box

OP
OP
B

BowmanPa

Jun 3, 2013
Millerstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Just Bought MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your inputs...Man I have allot of reading to do on these types of machines. As for $$$ I really do not want to spend $1200-$1500 on my first MD so if I end up getting a higher end MD it will have to be used.

I do not go to the Beach that much only 1 week out of the year so I just wanted something I could swing around at the beach but most of my hunting would be around where I live once I find out was is legal and where is legal to hunt.

I will keep you all post on what i decide to get and thank you again for the info.

BowmanPa

OP
OP
B

BowmanPa

Jun 3, 2013
Millerstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Just Bought MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YoungHunter39

Jun 10, 2013
Visayas
Detector(s) used
German Stick & L-Rod
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Map Dowsers here.. Please pm me at 0928-3061454. Young Hunter 69 of Visayas. Positive site soon to be operated but I need it to be reviewed by a Map Dowsers. PM me at 0928-3061454

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is 100% correct in his assessment of the detectors.

While everyone wants to promote the AT Pro as a get up and do it all detector, they fail to realize saltwater beaches vary in the amount of salt concentrations and black sand and they just don't work well at them........PERIOD. When someone says, "I use the AT PRO at saltwater beaches." You have to wonder what the heck the person is talking about. Is he only hunting the dry sand? Is he hunting the wet sand but had to turn down the sens so low that he is only searching the top inches? Is he putting up with lots of falsing in the surf? You may as well have better luck running all the sand through a screen sifter.

I know what an AT Pro can do and that is why I don't use it as my "go too detector for saltwater sand." Newbie's have to learn the hard way by listening to false claims as to a detectors beeps.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While everyone wants to promote the AT Pro as a get up and do it all detector, they fail to realize saltwater beaches vary in the amount of salt concentrations and black sand and they just don't work well at them........PERIOD. When someone says, "I use the AT PRO at saltwater beaches." You have to wonder what the heck the person is talking about. Is he only hunting the dry sand? Is he hunting the wet sand but had to turn down the sens so low that he is only searching the top inches? Is he putting up with lots of falsing in the surf? You may as well have better luck running all the sand through a screen sifter.

I know what an AT Pro can do and that is why I don't use it as my "go too detector for saltwater sand." Newbie's have to learn the hard way by listening to false claims as to a detectors beeps.

Wow wow,Man im not telling anyone false claims & unless u r with me when ive taken the Atpro out in Cape cod & seen it work where ive detected then u dont know all places are not the same not one nor does each detector work the same for each person thats a pretty bold statement to say im telling someone false statements it was my go to & now my goto is a v3i cuz that works for me, only reason y I said Atpro was cuz I listened to What he wanted in a detector it was just my opinión just like Terry has his & thats the tesoro line plain & simple everyone likes different machines. I just c how u could even say oh i know Atpro it just doesnt work may not as good but it does

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And ya alot of people do like the pro cuz its not a 1000 + detector half that & can hang with the big boys rain or shine im sorry but that was a statement aboat my opinión that just wasnt cool saying i give a false statement

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, there are better detectors for certain environments. Given the OP's price range, the At Pro would be a good starting point. I've used mine on East Coast beaches, gulf coast beaches, lakes, creeks and rivers. With proper ground balance. I've yet to find an area in the water or wet sand where it wouldn't work. I've had to turn the sensitivity down one bar from maximum on a few beaches, but still dig consistent targets multiple scoops deep. Yes, there are places it might not go as deep, but it has respectable depth for a single frequency VLF.

My CTX3030 with FBS2 is deeper, but not in the OP's price range.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And ya alot of people do like the pro cuz its not a 1000 + detector half that & can hang with the big boys rain or shine im sorry but that was a statement aboat my opinión that just wasnt cool saying i give a false statement

The AT Pro loses a THIRD to HALF of its depth and sensitivity in SALTWATER. If you can live with that, then you are good to go. Any Garrett dealer selling the AT Pro as a primary saltwater machine is a theif, or does not know what they are talking about - period. In FRESHWATER, it is a great machine

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thanks for the input. Being you are a Tesoro cult member what would you recommend? Sandshark? I live smack dab in the middle of the Puget Sound on Whidbey Island so saltwater is a must, but I don't want to limit myself to just the beaches. Maybe I am a dreamer for wanting to get the best of both worlds from one machine and a somewhat limited budget. Thanks again in advance.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro loses a THIRD to HALF of its depth and sensitivity in SALTWATER. If you can live with that, then you are good to go. Any Garrett dealer selling the AT Pro as a primary saltwater machine is a theif, or does not know what they are talking about - period. In FRESHWATER, it is a great machine

Look I do think u are very good deal about the detectors I agree with that, but What im trying to say for someone wanting the opertunity to hunt both land & water the pro is fine, now although I do respect all of ur opinions its obvios u dont like the Atpro & from all posts ive seen with u the only line that u favor is tesoro thats it, I have hunted saltwater yes it may not have been as good as a true salt water detector but im not allways able to hunt the salt water & thats What makes the pro alright cuz u still can if u want & then go right to land plain & simple as of losing a third to half sensitivity show me those facts cuz I think its mainly ur opinión because u like the tesoro line everyone WHO uses a certain brand & that is loyal to that one is gonna say all others in competition r junk

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have the ATP and unfortunately I have to agree with Sandman. I took it to the beach a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome in the dry sand. In wet sand it did ok with the sens turned way down cutting my depth way down and in the water I couldn't get it to stop falsing. Aother than that, I still love the ATP as a good all around detector. I will be trying it in fresh water this week end. They say it is awesome in this regard.
GL $ HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions