✅ SOLVED Need identity help! .40 Caliber Minie Ball?

jkimm7

Apr 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Solved] Need identity help! .40 Caliber Minie Ball?

I recently found this bullet lodged in the wood of a very old bird house of all places. I am not familiar with the sizes and history of these types of bullets so any help would be appreciated. It is 0.4-0.41 inches in diameter, three bands around the base, there is rifling on the sides, and there is no cavity on the end. I am in Rhode Island, however, I do not know where the wood for the birdhouse would have come from. Any help identifying this would be appreciated

4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have a modern bullet. More knowledgeable people will be along to positively ID it. And, welcome to the forums. It's a great place to share your finds and learn about them. Good providence on your next hunt.

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Best Advice...Is Advice Already Given!

Hello jkimm7...and welcome to The Show!

I recently found this bullet lodged in the wood of a very old bird house of all places. I am not familiar with the sizes and history of these types of bullets so any help would be appreciated. It is 0.4-0.41 inches in diameter, three bands around the base, there is rifling on the sides, and there is no cavity on the end. I am in Rhode Island, however, I do not know where the wood for the birdhouse would have come from. Any help identifying this would be appreciated

View attachment 1921567 View attachment 1921566 View attachment 1921565 View attachment 1921563 View attachment 1921564

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/113071-civil-war-3-ring-bullet.html

I believe you have found is a Civil War 3 Ring Bullet... as shown in a 2009 Post find right here on TNet!

Bullet Civil War.jpg

minie-ball-3624045037-1556314609644.jpg

Most of these Minie Ball 3 Ring bullets were .58 Caliber Springfield.

The only .40 Caliber Weapon I see was the Wesson and Leavitt Dragoon pistol that fired a Cap & Ball Bullet.

Wesson and Leavitt Dragoon.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jkimm7 wrote:
> .40 caliber Minie ball?

Robot wrote:
> I believe you have found is a Civil War 3 Ring Bullet... as shown in a 2009 Post find right here on TNet!

Sigh.
No... the NUMBER-ONE defining characteristic of a Minie ball/bullet is that it has a hollow base. (Meaning, the base a large cavity centered in it -- see the big cone-shaped cavity in the "cutaway-view" diagram attached below this text.)

Jkimm's bullet has a solid base, so it is definitely not a Minie ball/bullet.
Minié ball - Wikipedia

As Pistol Pete correctly answered, jkimm's bullet is not a civil war bullet... "Modern 41 Colt or 10mm pistol. Only calibers in that diameter."

Jkimm7, welcome to TreasureNet's "What Is It?" forum... the best place on the internet to get unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)

Attachments

• diagram_Minie-ball-design_1855-Harpers-Ferry-Arsenal-diagram-by-JamesHBurton_wiki.jpg
    diagram_Minie-ball-design_1855-Harpers-Ferry-Arsenal-diagram-by-JamesHBurton_wiki.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy...I Think I Shot Myself In The Foot...With that Post!

Forgot about the Hollow Base.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jkimm7

Apr 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help and insight! It certainly looked like a minie ball but I was confused as to why it would be so far up north and why it was small. Didn't know about the hollow base of the minie ball. Thanks again!

Also thanks for the warm welcome! Surprised I haven't found this forum before, I will certainly be back with more questions in the future!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And let's not forget the 40-60 Winchester rifle, that slug could well be shortened by abrasion besides impact.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread