need info on arizona mines open to public

I

indulgentmom

Am taking my 4 year old to visit family in cave creek area of Arizona next month...looking for a day trip to stick him in the dirt and let him dig away. Are there any places to go (existing mines that you pay a digging fee would be nice) that he might actually find something (I'm thinkin' anything shiny would do) and get off of his current volcano obsession (I think he's getting tired of digging for pyroclastic rocks in TEXAS and not finding anything) LOL

ESC

Oct 12, 2006
Arizona
Might want to take a trip out to the Vulture mine. Its a huge privately owned ghost town that houses the riches gold mine in Arizona history. You can also buy bags of sand there and pan them right on the spot.

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
There are plenty of mines, abandoned and otherwise, in the Cave Creek area. Sadly, I don't think that any of them will allow you to go scratch around. Stop and ask the people at the Portal store. If anyone would know, it would be them. You might also ask at the Ranger station on highway 191, near mile marker 2, in Douglas.

On the positive side of things..... He WILL NOT have a bit of trouble finding pyroclastic rocks in the area!!!! If you need a bit of help finding some... Between mile markers 391 and 392 on highway 80, between Douglas and Rodeo, the road goes through a hill of pyroclastic rock. It's the only place that the road goes through a hill in the area. I think they just wanted to go through a hill somewhere! LOL They could have moved the road fifty feet north and went around it.

Have fun, and watch out for critters!

Attachments

• Dynamic Duo.JPG
    Dynamic Duo.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 711
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread