invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo, thanks for letting me know the status. While waiting for your reply, I emailed one of Paul's sons who said his older brother pursued this. He recalled his brother saying that the non-profit from Italy wants some verification that my father served in that part of the world during WWII not sure we can provide that. We have a diary that indicates my father served in that area but no photos.

Would pictures of the diary suffice? The reason I ask is that I have a few pictures of my father during WWII. However, they limited to: 1) his training graduation picture; 2) a picture of him with the entire ship's crew; 3) a picture of him and a few buddies on shore leave at a bar. None show where he was stationed per se. Bottom line: I'm not sure how common it is to have a picture of a soldier in the area where he served.

So again, if pictures of the diary indicating he served in that area are good enough - please let me know. Hopefully by Christmas the dog tag will be returned.

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo, thanks for letting me know the status. While waiting for your reply, I emailed one of Paul's sons who said his older brother pursued this. He recalled his brother saying that the non-profit from Italy wants some verification that my father served in that part of the world during WWII not sure we can provide that. We have a diary that indicates my father served in that area but no photos.

Would pictures of the diary suffice? The reason I ask is that I have a few pictures of my father during WWII. However, they limited to: 1) his training graduation picture; 2) a picture of him with the entire ship's crew; 3) a picture of him and a few buddies on shore leave at a bar. None show where he was stationed per se. Bottom line: I'm not sure how common it is to have a picture of a soldier in the area where he served.

So again, if pictures of the diary indicating he served in that area are good enough - please let me know. Hopefully by Christmas the dog tag will be returned.
I sent a private message.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEAM....WE HAVE LOCATED A FAMILY MEMBER WHO WOULD BE GRATEFUL TO HAVE THIS DOG TAG OF HIS FATHERS.

OUTSTANDING WORK....Matteo I will direct message you with the info....thank you!!!!!!!!!
Well done, I returned a WWI dog tag to the family in Australia. They had no items from this period & were happy to have it.
CONGRATS!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully persistence pays off (it usually does).

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, a family member sent me these photos and I forwarded to Matteo, who is sharing them with the family who found the dog tag. Hopefully these are sufficient and the dog tag is back w/ Don's family by Christmas.

Attachments

• 20210922_173621.jpg
    20210922_173621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 cheers and an Honorable Mention is due to Matteo and the Masucci family for returning Don's dog tag to his next of kin in the U.S.A.!

As you know Matteo posted the request. He also drove two hours each way and retrieved the tag from the Masucci family - who found it on their farm. Matteo, at his own expense posted the tag. Attached are pictures of them along with a description of Associazione SALERNO 1943.

1. Don Schuler
2. Don's son holding the tag and 15th AF patch
3. Matteo holding the tag w/ his family.
4. The Masucci family holding the tag on their farm where it was found.
5. A description of Associazione SALERNO 1943.

Attachments

• Don Schuler.jpg
    Don Schuler.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • Don son with dog tag and 15th AF patch.jpg
    Don son with dog tag and 15th AF patch.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • Matteo holding dog tag with family 2022-01-12.jpeg
    Matteo holding dog tag with family 2022-01-12.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Paolo Masucci with his sons Vincenzo and Alessandro in the place where they found tag.jpeg
    Paolo Masucci with his sons Vincenzo and Alessandro in the place where they found tag.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Associazione SALERNO 1943.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 37

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 cheers and an Honorable Mention is due to Matteo and the Masucci family for returning Don's dog tag to his next of kin in the U.S.A.!

As you know Matteo posted the request. He also drove two hours each way and retrieved the tag from the Masucci family - who found it on their farm. Matteo, at his own expense posted the tag. Attached are pictures of them along with a description of Associazione SALERNO 1943.

1. Don Schuler
2. Don's son holding the tag and 15th AF patch
3. Matteo holding the tag w/ his family.
4. The Masucci family holding the tag on their farm where it was found.
5. A description of Associazione SALERNO 1943.
Yay!Kudos! Way to go!Best of the best,the true spirit of Treasurenet.Long may it last!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it has been upgraded to Honorable Mention
000aaa.jpg

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, one of Don's sons sent a "thank you" basket to the Masucci family who found the dog tag in Italy. Below is a photo with them holding the basket.

Attachments

• The Masucci family holding the thank you basket - small.jpg
    The Masucci family holding the thank you basket - small.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 45

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread